From: Dan Cross <cross@math.psu.edu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] pcf config file ...
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 13:32:18 -0500	[thread overview]

"Russ Cox" <rsc@swtch.com> writes:
> pull is hard-coded to run "9fs kfs".  really you should be using
> dan cross's /dist/replica/dist, but i never remember how to do that.
> instead you can just create a /srv/kfs that pull will be able
> to mount (it doesn't see one so it starts kfs).
>
> 	echo 1 >/srv/kfs </srv/boot
>
> should do the trick.

It's called `inst', and while it's on sources, it never made it to the
base distribution.  It is, however, pretty easy to use:

	term% mount -c /srv/boot /n/inst
	term% 9fs sources
	term% cp /n/sources/plan9/dist/replica/inst /dist/replica
	term% bind /n/sources/plan9 /n/dist
	term% replica/pull -v /dist/replica/inst

After my thinkpad died a horrible, gurgling death, I bought an iBook
running MacOS X.  When jmk updated the ethernet drivers such that
VirtualPC for the Mac worked (well, it already worked, but now the
network worked, too), I bought and installed VirtualPC.  It's quite
nice, if a little slow, and gave me an opportunity to jump from KFS to
fossil (which I did).  After doing so, however, I'm a little dismayed
about how much still depends on kfs, particularly the replica scripts
under /dist/replica (and in individual package replica scripts).  It
seems to me that if fossil is the way to go moving forward, it would
behoove us to update the other parts of the system to treat it with a
little more respect.  To that end, I like Andrey's modification that
Ron just posted; it'll also work on fileservers and the like.  In
short, we should be updating the system to be more general, not trying
to fool things into looking vaguely like kfs so old tools will continue
working.

As an aside, I also had an idea for /dist/replica/site, or
/dist/relica/site.local, which could be customized with a particular
site's localizations (applyopts and the like).  Then replica scripts
could `.' it, effectively customizing themselves for given site
configurations (the most obvious example would be doing things like
overriding default clientroot's).  I still think it's a good idea,
but it never took off.

	- Dan C.