From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] silly replica question (repeated m msgs won't go away)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:38:45 +0200	[thread overview]

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 12:22:28PM +0000, Charles Forsyth wrote:

> i think the replica scheme is actually quite pretty,
> but there's a flaw that happens to afflict 'm' particularly.

Replica is extremely useful, specially in the role it serves to
most of this community.  Its minor flaws are sufficiently trivial
to be ignored and workarounds applied as the occasion demands.

But replication deserves being done "right" rather than heuristically
and Plan 9 seems to have all the ingredients to provide the final
word in replication.  Further, as I mentioned in another thread,
replication enhances the "distributability" and Plan 9 can only
benefit from such an ugly word.

If I'm right that the dump (in its ISO-9660 guise) and replica can
converge and provide the ideal tool, then I'm willing to make myself
unpopular and challenge the present replica wisdom.  With all due
respect, of course, to those who first trod this path.

If I'm being stupid, then I won't mind acknowledging it once my nose
has been rubbed in it.

++L