* [9fans] imap4d and Outlook
@ 2004-02-29 17:43 Lucio De Re
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Lucio De Re @ 2004-02-29 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

It seems to me that imap4d and Outlook disagree on the interpretation
of dates.  As displayed, the year and day are interchanged.

The fact that changing the date representation in the regional
settings (NT-4, Settings/Regional Settings/Date) causes Outlook to
crash rather dramatically (maybe it can't cope with the representation
of an inverted date) does nothing to reassure me that the problem
is in imap4d.

But it doesn't hurt to ask.  I have very little intention of reading
the IMAP RFCs, if you'll forgive me.

++L

PS: If it helps, I _can_ try Mozilla's mailer as comparison, but
not immediately.

* Re: [9fans] imap4d and Outlook
@ 2004-02-29 18:01 ` Dave Lukes
From: Dave Lukes @ 2004-02-29 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lucio De Re; +Cc: 9fans

L,
	If you can wait until tomorrow morning,
I can at least save you wasting a barf-bag:
I've been Poking at Post-offices with Python for the previous few
weeks, so it won't take me long to find the answer.

IIRC, it's RFC822-like, so it'll have all sorts of evil muck
like timezone offsets in it.

	Dave.

On Sun, 2004-02-29 at 17:43, Lucio De Re wrote:
> It seems to me that imap4d and Outlook disagree on the interpretation
> of dates.  As displayed, the year and day are interchanged.
>
> The fact that changing the date representation in the regional
> settings (NT-4, Settings/Regional Settings/Date) causes Outlook to
> crash rather dramatically (maybe it can't cope with the representation
> of an inverted date) does nothing to reassure me that the problem
> is in imap4d.
>
> But it doesn't hurt to ask.  I have very little intention of reading
> the IMAP RFCs, if you'll forgive me.
>
> ++L
>
> PS: If it helps, I _can_ try Mozilla's mailer as comparison, but
> not immediately.

* Re: [9fans] imap4d and Outlook
@ 2004-02-29 23:26 ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-02-29 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> It seems to me that imap4d and Outlook disagree on the interpretation
> of dates.  As displayed, the year and day are interchanged.

ol' 'gaijin' crispin screwed up, big time.

* Re: [9fans] imap4d and Outlook
@ 2004-02-29 23:29   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-02-29 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> IIRC, it's RFC822-like, so it'll have all sorts of evil muck
> like timezone offsets in it.

walk in the park.  mace knows how to do it.

* Re: [9fans] imap4d and Outlook
@ 2004-03-01  2:00 ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2004-03-01  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I use outlook with our imap4d all the time and haven't noticed such
a swap.  Perhaps its because both are using US style dates?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2791 bytes --]

From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
Subject: [9fans] imap4d and Outlook
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 19:43:38 +0200

@ 2004-03-01  4:43   ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2004-03-01  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 09:00:18PM -0500, David Presotto wrote:

> I use outlook with our imap4d all the time and haven't noticed such
> a swap.  Perhaps its because both are using US style dates?

More likely because of the locality, South Africa.  I only picked
it up because I could not get the messages in a sensible date
sequence.

As I mentioned, if I adjust the date display settings, I crash
Outlook, presumably because of some invalid date value, so it's
hard to tell.

It seemed such an obvious fault, I thought someone else would have
picked on it.  I'll try and find some time to dig deeper.

++L

* Re: [9fans] imap4d and Outlook
@ 2004-03-01 10:14     ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2004-03-01 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 06:43:08AM +0200, Lucio De Re wrote:

> It seemed such an obvious fault, I thought someone else would have
> picked on it.  I'll try and find some time to dig deeper.

Curiously, the year is either 1 or 2, I have seen many 1s and very
few 2s.  The day of the month has little bearing on the dates
applicable in the actual message, but I presume Outlook's idea of
a "received" time stamp comes from some other source?

++L