From: "Alberto Cortés" <alcortes@coitt.es>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] boot.c -> bad nvram key -> solved! (workaround, not fixed)
Date: Mon,  8 Mar 2004 16:18:12 +0100	[thread overview]

Some time ago, lucio said:

> > I have tried with /386/9pcdisk and /386/9pcf but both kernels give me
> > the same results:
> >
> Don't worry about it, it is harmless.  You may even want to get rid of
> the warning by executing auth/wrkey once the terminal is running.  I
> suspect something has crept into the startup that always checks for
> NVRAM and the installation seems always to create an NVRAM partition.
> But, as I mentioned, it does no harm whatsoever.

Thats right!, the last ISO i downloaded from Plan9 web site creates a
small (1 sector, 512 B) partition for nvram. Also, the boot(8) process
for terminals check keys in it.

Maybe something crept in boot(8) on the last versions, because in a
previous version of plan9 i didn't see that behaviour (maybe some code
from cpu kernel leaked in???).

Anyway, i have get rid of the warnings by deleting/renaming the nvram partition
with disk/prep /dev/sdC0/9fat as Presotto & Nemo suggested.

It can also be solved with the auth/wrkey trick that Lucio and
Zhen Lin mentioned (not sure, i didn't try it).

As Lucio said, the warnings were quite harmless as the systems boot
normally, but i were a little worried (newbie thoughts).

Thanks you all for your help.

--
url: http://163.117.15.158/~acortes/index.html