Hi 9fans, thank you for your help regarding the keymap issue. I got it solved, attached you find the german keymap is suitable for my IBM T20. I haven't tested it on any other system, but the scancodes look the same on my T30 Laptop, so it is hopefully also working at least on other IBM Thinkpads. In any case it should be a good starting point to other german keyboards. Because i found no way with "unicode" and "ascii" to get the decimal value for stuff i found in /lib/unicode. i wrote a littel tool that simply takes a hex value and gives back the value as a decimal integer. the tool is called "hex2dec" and is also attached. Maybe it is useful for other ppl that need to write their own keymap. Feel free to send me comments about my code, since i'm just learning c constructive feedback is welcome. One speciality in the keymap is that i put small greek kappa letter on AltGr + k, because i found it handy for binding the kbmap device ;-) Cheers /~scusi