* [9fans] Things to do in London When You're 9con-ing
@ 2004-04-28 16:02 Dave Lukes
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Dave Lukes @ 2004-04-28 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If anyone's got any good ideas for individual and/or group
Interesting (but cheap) Things That People Can Do In London,
please feel free to contribute.

I believe we already have one juggler ...
Any fire-eaters???

Some things that get my personal approval,
having done them with a friend recently:
	Corny Tourist Stuff:
		The London Eye (great technology!)
		The Tower of London and Tower Bridge
	Museums and Art Galleries:
		Tate Britain
		Tate Modern
			If someone's _really_ nice they can borrow
			my Tate membership card.
	Transport
		Get yourself a 1-day travelcard!
		The River Bus (or one of the River cruises)
			is a different way to see London

Some things that get my personal disapproval:
	Eating pretty much anywhere in Central London
	Most of the tourist-oriented crap:
		You can see as much from an ordinary bus as a tourbus!

Cheers,
	Dave.

* Re: [9fans] Things to do in London When You're 9con-ing
@ 2004-04-28 17:02 ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-04-28 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Some things that get my personal disapproval:
> Eating pretty much anywhere in Central London

opposite West End Central nick [Saville Row] there's a
great restaurant, with a very impressive wine list, called
Satoria.

in islington, on Upper St [east] there's a great french restaurant,
run by french nationals, whose name starts 'La Tro' (my credit
card statement truncating it becase it starts with 'brasserie').
anyway, it's near 'the dôme'.

Taro, in Soho, is noisy, but a good japanese.

* Re: [9fans] Things to do in London When You're 9con-ing
@ 2004-04-28 19:46 ` Eric KD5UWL
From: Eric KD5UWL @ 2004-04-28 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Interesting (but cheap) Things That People Can Do In London...

Just look for the church spires - there should be a pub very nearby,
and each pub has varying brands of beers and ales.  It's
arguably _interesting_ to walk about, sampling one and then the other ...
but not necessarily cheap.

* Re: [9fans] Things to do in London When You're 9con-ing
@ 2004-04-28 20:28   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-04-28 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> but not necessarily cheap.

no, given a pint sells from between 2-3 GBP [3,0-4,5 EUR | 3.5-5.3 USD].

* Re: [9fans] Things to do in London When You're 9con-ing
@ 2004-04-28 21:12   ` Dave Lukes
From: Dave Lukes @ 2004-04-28 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > Interesting (but cheap) Things That People Can Do In London...
>
> Just look for the church spires

What church spires?
They've all been converted into Homeless Drop-In Centres:-).

>  - there should be a pub very nearby,
This is London: there are pubs _everywhere_, independent of churches.

> and each pub has varying brands of beers and ales.

... unless they belong to the same chain ...

>   It's
> arguably _interesting_ to walk about, sampling one and then the other

Not if your not an alcohol user:-).

> but not necessarily cheap.

Amen.
	Dave.

* Re: [9fans] Things to do in London When You're 9con-ing
@ 2004-04-28 22:17 ` George Michaelson
                     ` (5 more replies)
From: George Michaelson @ 2004-04-28 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sir John Soanes house museum. It has the most eclectic collection of
ephemeral architectural remains around. Wonderful!

The Horniman Museum. fascinating collection of musical instruments. (The V&A is
also a good bet)

The reading room of the British Museum is now no longer a library but is at
last available to non-ticket holders to see inside.

Greenwich is fab. the Harrison chronometers are well worth a look.

The Science Museum has the babbage engine and the modern reconstructions
and a differential analyser made of meccano.

Hendon Air Museum has a Lancaster Bomber.

Brick Lane Markets. Everything on sale. including your own kidneys.

Camden Lock markets. Kentish Town may still have a very nice Moroccan Restaurant
called 'le petit prince' which does its own merguez.

Go to the houses of parliment before they build the glass screen across the
visitors gallery.

The London Underground Museum, and the Post Museum are small but good.

Go up St Pauls Cathedral dome. whispering gallery! (huge and works)

Also has the tomb of Nelson in the crypt. Also fab view from cupola.

Also the London Fire Memorial is worth a climb.

(its a shame that he blitz got rid of both Gin Lane, and Grope-cunt street)

The best view of the London Skyline is from Primrose Hill, which is near
to Camden Lock.

Richmond and Kew are fab. Kew House has a very good museum, you can see
the Pagoda. The modern HotHouses are ok, but the Paxton original with the
giant waterlily is the best.

UCL has a museum of Archeology (Flinders Petrie worked there) which has
historical weights and measures for the numerically minded. (like ancient
egyptian ones)

Oh, the V&A costume collection is also fab.

The Elgin Marbles in the British Museum. Also a room of Netsuke!

Bookshops down Shaftsbury Avenue.

Very good Army & Navy surplus store between Euston and Kings Cross.

Speakers Corner has the new Memorial to the aussies who died in the wars. And
the Barrie memorial for peter pan fanatics.

Roman London is on display at the Barbican, both physically, and recreated in
the museum as is the fire of london.

Greys Inn is fun to walk through.

The Courtauld Institute is now down at Kings College. It has a lovely small
collection of Art. (anthony blunt, who worked there, specialized in the
Poussin collection which is down at the Dulwich Gallery, also lovely)

Sir John Soane did the wall alongside the Bank of England. Hawksmoor did a church
near by.

The Natural History Musuem and the Geology Museum are worth it, but don't try
and do them AND the V&A AND the Science Museum in one day.

The Science Museum has been ruined by too many re-re-re-organizations. But its
still worth a go. (quite apart from the babbage stuff)

Windsor Castle is within decent Travelling distance.

Clerkenwell has secondhand books on sale from barrows early in the morning. Near
the old Communist Party publishing house.

BlackFriars Bridge is the scene of one of the worlds first electricity generating
systems for public distribution outside of the edison plants in the USA.

Walking around is good.

-George

* Re: [9fans] Things to do in London When You're 9con-ing
@ 2004-04-29  3:54   ` ron minnich
                     ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: ron minnich @ 2004-04-29  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

didn't see the Imperial War Museum in your list. I liked it.

ron

* Re: [9fans] Things to do in London When You're 9con-ing
@ 2004-04-29  4:10   ` Adrian Tritschler
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Adrian Tritschler @ 2004-04-29  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

George Michaelson wrote:
> Sir John Soanes house museum. It has the most eclectic collection of
> ephemeral architectural remains around. Wonderful!

I'd have to agree with that, one of the most amazing places I saw when i
was in london.

	Adrian

* Re: [9fans] Things to do in London When You're 9con-ing
@ 2004-04-29  5:25     ` George Michaelson
From: George Michaelson @ 2004-04-29  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 21:54:06 -0600 (MDT) ron minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov> wrote:

>didn't see the Imperial War Museum in your list. I liked it.
>
>ron

damn. indeed a favourite, and indeed fine. and Captain Blighs house is
just across the street I think for the blue plaque collector.

-George

* Re: [9fans] Things to do in London When You're 9con-ing
@ 2004-04-29  6:30   ` Michael Jeffrey
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Michael Jeffrey @ 2004-04-29  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Oh, the V&A costume collection is also fab.

And the V&A plaster gallery - what those victorians could do with
a bit of plaster of paris!

* Re: [9fans] Things to do in London When You're 9con-ing
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-04-29  7:20   ` David Cantrell
From: David Cantrell @ 2004-04-29  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 08:17:28AM +1000, George Michaelson wrote:

> (its a shame that he blitz got rid of both Gin Lane, and Grope-cunt street)

Gropecunt Lane was renamed by those nasty prudish Victorians, but still
exists.  Nowadays, it's known as Milton St, EC2.

  Irregular English:
    you have anecdotes; they have data; I have proof

* Re: [9fans] Things to do in London When You're 9con-ing
                     ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-04-29  7:37   ` William Josephson
From: William Josephson @ 2004-04-29  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 08:17:28AM +1000, George Michaelson wrote:
<snip>

Don't forget the Wallace Collection!

* Re: [9fans] Things to do in London When You're 9con-ing
@ 2004-04-29  7:51     ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-04-29  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> didn't see the Imperial War Museum in your list. I liked it.

yeah, it's neat.

* Re: [9fans] Things to do in London When You're 9con-ing
                     ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-04-29  9:06   ` Derek Fawcus
From: Derek Fawcus @ 2004-04-29  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 08:17:28AM +1000, George Michaelson wrote:

> Go to the houses of parliment before they build the glass screen across the
> visitors gallery.

Too late.  According to R4,  a temporary screen has already been erected
(over last weekend I think).  This is supposed to stay 'til the permanent
one is fitted.  The summary was that now one might as well simply watch
the parliment channel.

DF

* [9fans] URGENT: Sir John Soane's Museum [was: Things to do in London When You're 9con-ing]
@ 2004-04-29 11:17     ` Dave Lukes
From: Dave Lukes @ 2004-04-29 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 05:10, Adrian Tritschler wrote:
> George Michaelson wrote:
> > Sir John Soanes house museum. It has the most eclectic collection of

Thirded: I still haven't been, and I want to, and it's free!

It also has Hogarths and other nice art.
http://www.soane.org/
Including catalogues!

Annoyingly, we can't get a group booking on Saturday
AND it's only open 10-5 AND it's not open Sunday:-(.

If enough people (>=6) are interested AND are going to be in London
early on Friday 14th, there's a group slot available at 12:30.
TELL ME NOW and I'll book it.
I'm also on the waiting list in case any of the other
groups booked on Friday afternoon happen to cancel.

Also, there's a guided tour Saturday at 2:30 if anyone wants
to bunk off plan9 stuff:-).

Cheers,
	Dave.

* Re: [9fans] URGENT: Sir John Soane's Museum [was: Things to do in London When You're 9con-ing]
@ 2004-04-29 23:08       ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-04-29 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 05:10, Adrian Tritschler wrote:
> > George Michaelson wrote:
> > > Sir John Soanes house museum. It has the most eclectic collection of

been there, done that.

george, your list of things to do was interesting 'cos it reminded me
that i'd seen 99% of it.  interesting.  you know my rates.

here at the FOB @ insultant.net we are NDA & non-use free as
of may 1; my "short timer's" clock is saying 22 hours and 53 minutes.

was this meant to be a drink/meal or some glorified london tour?

URGENT?  that was a Foreigner track. Sir John Soane's Museum has
been there for a bit longer than bad 80's rock.

* Re: [9fans] Things to do in London When You're 9con-ing
@ 2004-04-30  0:55     ` bs
From: bs @ 2004-04-30  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

David Cantrell wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 08:17:28AM +1000, George Michaelson wrote:
>

>>(its a shame that he blitz got rid of both Gin Lane, and Grope-cunt street)
>

> Gropecunt Lane was renamed by those nasty prudish Victorians, but still
> exists.  Nowadays, it's known as Milton St, EC2.

There is still Scuntthorpe...

* Re: [9fans] URGENT: Sir John Soane's Museum [was: Things to do in London When You're 9con-ing]
@ 2004-04-30  2:28         ` George Michaelson
From: George Michaelson @ 2004-04-30  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 01:08:23 +0200 "boyd, rounin" <boyd@insultant.net> wrote:

>been there, done that.
>
>george, your list of things to do was interesting 'cos it reminded me
>that i'd seen 99% of it.  interesting.

I was feeling homesick. I think anybody who has lived in London winds up
seeing many/most of these. I left off so many things worth a glim:
climpompidras niddle (as tony hancock called it) on the embankment, the
thames barrier, kensington market, Portobello Road Market, Marx's tomb in
Highgate, the list probably *is* endless..

Harrods food hall is worth a viz, the polychrome tiles are wonderful.

If you want a nostalgia trip for a photo op. the zebra crossing at Abbey
Road studios is always good for a laugh. But make sure Boyd has bare feet
on the black stripe..

-George

* Re: [9fans] URGENT: Sir John Soane's Museum [was: Things to do in London When You're 9con-ing]
@ 2004-04-30  9:29           ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-04-30  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> If you want a nostalgia trip for a photo op. the zebra crossing at Abbey
> Road studios is always good for a laugh.

been there too.  NW3 iirc.