From: Jon Snader <jsnader@ix.netcom.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] plan9dev@googlegroups.com
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:16:38 -0400	[thread overview]

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 08:18:06AM -0500, Eric Van Hensbergen wrote:
> I'd really prefer it to be a development list - a place to talk about
> what people are working on within Plan 9.  Whereas 9fans is more of a
> user/advocacy list - where people ask questions about using existing
> functionality, hardware support, installing a cpu server for the first
> time, etc.

I'd prefer not to have this Balkanization.  I'm probably what
you'd refer to as a non-serious user because I don't work on Plan
9 development, and don't use it in my day to day work.  Still,
I'm interested in all aspects of Plan 9, and one of the things
that I enjoy the most is the development discussions.  I could,
of course, subscribe to the development list too, but I'm already
subscribed to too many lists.

If the problem is spam, let's fix that problem, perhaps by going
subscriber only for posting.  Some say this puts a burden on the
casual reader, but I never found it too much effort to subscribe
first.  With one or two exceptions, we don't get too many flamers
or OT posts, so I'm willing to live with that to keep from having
to go to two places to get my Plan 9 fix.

jcs