From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Mail exchanger
Date: Mon,  2 Aug 2004 17:35:51 +0200	[thread overview]

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 04:15:10PM +0100, C H Forsyth wrote:

> 	/lib/namespace - add "bind #l1 /net.alt; bind #I1 /net.alt"
>
> i'm sure one or both of those should have -a

Yes, of course.  Copied with minor alterations from the original.  And
I note that

	mount -a /srv/cs_net.alt /net.alt
	mount -a /srv/dns_net.alt /net.alt
	mount -a /srv/net.alt /net.alt

(the last one being a mystery to me :-) also seem to be
required/desirable.  I added them to /lib/namespace.$sysname (oh,
all right, .tackle, to be pedantic) but that did not seem to help
as much as inserting them in the middle of the file instead.

> do you intend the two interfaces to be on distinct IP stacks, with possibly different
> sets of services running on each, as for certain types of gateway,
> or have you just got interfaces on different network segments with different sets
> of IP addresses, so that the server just happens to have two or more IP addresses?

No, the machine is not intended the be a gateway, but it does
straddle two disjoint networks, which are also spanned by the
firewall and the proxy server.  I want it to be able to service
traffic from both networks, as transparently as possible, with
largely the same services running on both interfaces/IP stacks.

I'm _nearly_ there, but I think I'm just not starting the services
in the right sequence, so bits of the namespace seem to go missing
when certain utilities are activated.  Right now, it seems only
upas/smtp has a problem, but I'm sure others have not been pushed
over the edge yet.

I can't make it readily accessible from the Internet (it's at
196.30.44.147, if anyone wants to try) as I don't have the packet
filtering router's access codes handy, but I do plan it to make it
publicly reachable soon.

++L