* [9fans] piping to upas/spam when reading IMAP boxes
@ 2004-09-16 15:09 Heiko Dudzus
From: Heiko Dudzus @ 2004-09-16 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Everything works fine if you read local mailboxes. I ran into trouble
when I tried to pipe a raw message from nedmail to upas/spam when I
was reading a remote IMAP box.

2: ||upas/spam
Can't cd /mail/fs/mbox/[0-9]*: '/mail/fs/mbox/[0-9]*' does not exist

(In acme mail occurs the same problem, btw)

upas/spam an upas/msgcat (which the former invokes) mount a single
message on /mail/fs, so I thougt it would be a conflict with the IMAP
box mounted on /mail/fs

I hacked /mail/lib/msgcat.rc and /mail/lib/spam.rc to mount the
message(s) on /tmp/tmpmail instead.

This solved the problem.

Of course, unspam.rc and isspam.rc have to be modified in the same
way. And of course, the mountpoint is not chosen well.

But except this; is this modification of general interest?

* Re: [9fans] piping to upas/spam when reading IMAP boxes
@ 2004-09-16 16:57 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-09-16 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The spam filter associated with upas/spam etc. works
by running a filter over all incoming mail.  It is invoked
by /mail/box/$user/pipeto when mail is delivered to
/mail/box/$user/mbox.  If you are reading mail via IMAP,
then presumably it's because your mail doesn't get
delivered to Plan 9, in which case piping stuff to upas/spam
will have no useful effect at all.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] piping to upas/spam when reading IMAP boxes
@ 2004-09-16 19:12   ` Heiko Dudzus
From: Heiko Dudzus @ 2004-09-16 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Russ Cox wrote:
> The spam filter associated with upas/spam etc. works
> by running a filter over all incoming mail.  It is invoked
> by /mail/box/$user/pipeto when mail is delivered to
> /mail/box/$user/mbox.  If you are reading mail via IMAP,
> then presumably it's because your mail doesn't get
> delivered to Plan 9, in which case piping stuff to upas/spam
> will have no useful effect at all.

Yes, obviously.

But I do not yet have the infrastructure to get mails delivered
directly (sad enough). Instead I was reading with upas/fs.

To use the bayesian filter, I planned to get the remote mails home. It
seems like I tend to try doing this on plan9 on a wrong way, e.g. I
thought it was good idea to give them to my pipeto file. The problem
with upas/spam was of the same kind like that occuring with that
approach.

But my idea seem bullshit at all.

Would it be a better way to 'msgcat /imap/my.imap.server/myaccount' to
get remotely stored mails given to the local upas/smtp?

Which way is the easiest?