From: Micah Stetson <micah@cnm-vra.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] 9term customization
Date: Thu,  9 Dec 2004 16:46:25 -0800	[thread overview]

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 04:46:38PM -0200, Gabriel Cosentino de Barros wrote:
> > fn cd { builtin cd $1; prompt=(`{pwd}^'% ' '	') }
>
> I don't quite understand that.
> I tryied simply entering it into rcsh and it did nothing.

Unlike in bash and such, $prompt doesn't get special
evaluation whenever a prompt is displayed.  There is no
special support for dynamic prompt strings.  Simply
setting $prompt to a value including the current working
directory will make it always display that value,
irregardless of changes to the working directory.

The above function definition uses the more general
facilities of rc to get the job done without needing
special backslash escapes and other such nonsense.  We
replace the 'cd' command with a version that first calls
the original cd command and then sets the prompt with
the new working directory.  You shouldn't see the prompt
change until after you run cd.

> then i entered
> just "prompt=(`{pwd}^'% ' '	')" and then rcsh crashed.

This should have made the prompt indicate which directory
you ran that command in for the rest of the session.
But 9pm is old and unmaintained, and I've seen it behave
strangely and/or crash under some newer versions of
Windows.  You may be out of luck, unless you want to try
to fix it.

Micah