* [9fans] Where is mp3dec, pac4dec vorbisdec?
@ 2005-01-20  8:51 Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2005-01-20  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

This may concern with many others, not only myself, I thought.  (-->Sape)

Thanks Sape for your jukebox program.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] Where is mp3dec, pac4dec vorbisdec?
@ 2005-01-20 13:42 ` Sape Mullender
From: Sape Mullender @ 2005-01-20 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> This may concern with many others, not only myself, I thought.  (-->Sape)
>
> Thanks Sape for your jukebox program.

You're welcome.  Pac4dec, regrettably, has not been released for
public consumption.  Rob tried hard, some years ago, to allow it to
be made public, but the attempts failed.  There are mp3 encoders
and decoders on Plan 9, ported from other platforms.

	Sape

* Re: [9fans] Where is mp3dec, pac4dec vorbisdec?
@ 2005-01-20 18:29   ` Axel Belinfante
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2005-01-20 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> > This may concern with many others, not only myself, I thought.  (-->Sape)
> >
> > Thanks Sape for your jukebox program.
>
> You're welcome.  Pac4dec, regrettably, has not been released for
> public consumption.  Rob tried hard, some years ago, to allow it to
> be made public, but the attempts failed.  There are mp3 encoders
> and decoders on Plan 9, ported from other platforms.

Now that we have jukebox, and some ported decoders,
would it make sense to agree on where they live on the system?

The bell labs stuff (I think) all ends up in /sys/src/games,
whereas the vorbis port (link below) ends up in /sys/src/cmd/audio
at least last time I installed it which is some time ago.

Below is my mp3dec.
I have tried several players and left some garbage in the script :-(

I added the cat and the dd to have some more buffering
because my mp3 files are served over the network.
In my experience, serving files from ken-fs worked fine,
but I had some problems with u9fs (short gaps of silence)
 that went away after adding the cat.
(I have also got my music files over the wlan, or even,
 from the office ken-fs and u9fs's to home).

cpu% cat mp3dec
#!/bin/rc
# if (test -e /mnt/term/tmp/dev/audio) {
##		cat $3 | minimad | sox   -t .raw  -w -r 44100 -c 2 -s - -t .au -
#		cat $3 | mpg123 -s - | sox   -t .raw  -w -r 44100 -c 2 -s - -t .au -
#}
#if not {
##	cat $3 | minimad
#	cat $3 | mpg123 -s -
	cat $3 | dd -quiet 1 | dd -quiet 1 | madplay -q -o RAW:- -
#}

Same cat trick with vorbisdec.
My realvorbisdec is the vorbisdec I took from any's port:
 http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/anyrhine/p9/

cpu% cat vorbisdec
#!/bin/rc
cat| /bin/games/realvorbisdec
cpu%

Axel.

* Re: [9fans] Where is mp3dec, pac4dec vorbisdec?
@ 2005-01-21  1:15     ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2005-01-21  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks Sape and Axel.

I now reminded there was a discussion on Pac format here, which
is a Lucent proprietary one.

Axel, you seem to have tried several decoders, such as minimad, mpg123,
madplay for mp3 file, and finaly chose madplay.    Would you teach us
what was your experience on those decoders if possible where I mean
if you think it not bad to discuss in public.

@ 2005-01-21  4:38     ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2005-01-21  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The bell labs stuff (I think) all ends up in /sys/src/games,
> whereas the vorbis port (link below) ends up in /sys/src/cmd/audio

I'm using /sys/src/pub for anything ported locally from others.
If the audio encoder/decoder programs are ported ones, that pub notation
would be better, I think.

Sape probably chose /sys/src/games for jukebox based on his sense,
which I feel very familiar to me too (Sorry, I can't say this in Emglish).
However, he may ought to have chosen /sys/sr/cmd/audio, instead.
Just my opinion.

Actually, I'm dreaming to reconstruct the file trees for commands, to
(1) native Plan 9 code expected
(2) native Plan 9, but not written following its philosophy, but acceptable
(3) native Plan 9, but not acceptable as above
(3) anythin ported from othersystems

☺

@ 2005-01-25  1:55     ` Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2005-01-25  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

there are several codec and frontend ports in /n/sources/cnielsen.

the following libraries:
libogg
libvorbis
libFLAC
libOggFLAC
libfaac

and the following frontends/utilities:
faac
oggenc
vorbiscomment
metaflac
flac
bladeenc
cuetools

oggdec and faad should be no-brianer ports. i'll see if i can
do them tonight and toss them up there, too.

--
Christopher Nielsen
"They who can give up essential liberty for temporary