* [9fans] ATI Radeon 9600 SE and Plan 9
@ 2005-03-10 12:36 Bob Vloon
From: Bob Vloon @ 2005-03-10 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi all,

I presume that the newsgroup "comp.os.plan9" isnt' piped into this list,
so, once again..

I've installed Philippe Anel's Radeon drivers, just to find me sitting
behind a dark monitor.
Now I have to say: I don't see my 9600 SE mentioned anywhere, and I'm
willing to accept that my attempt was in vain, BUT, I hope it isn't..

What did I do? I installed the additions (of March 22nd last year) and
recompiled my kernel and the "vga" command, installed the kernel in /386
and /n/9fat, and "vga" using "mk install" in /bin/aux.
Now, my card wasn't recognized, so I read through a bit of the vgadb
manpage, and hacked the line 0xC0090="600SE" into /lib/vgadb.
Now, it is recognized, presumably ;), because in stead of something like a
message that my card isn't in the vgadb, I get a blank screen..
"Darn"..

So, is there any chance that I can get this to work?

Regards,

  Bob

PS. I'm new to Plan 9, so, please be patient :)

* Re: [9fans] ATI Radeon 9600 SE and Plan 9
@ 2005-03-13  1:46 ` blstuart
From: blstuart @ 2005-03-13  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

In message <20050310133626.27312154.bobv@bananacorp.nl>, Bob Vloon writes:
>I've installed Philippe Anel's Radeon drivers, just to find me sitting
>behind a dark monitor.
>Now I have to say: I don't see my 9600 SE mentioned anywhere, and I'm
>willing to accept that my attempt was in vain, BUT, I hope it isn't..
>Now, it is recognized, presumably ;), because in stead of something like a
>message that my card isn't in the vgadb, I get a blank screen..
>"Darn"..
>
>So, is there any chance that I can get this to work?

Maybe, maybe not.  The two machines on which I've tried his driver
both worked in the end.  The one I'm using now worked right off
the bat after getting vgadb happy.  The other one used a chip
that wasn't exactly supported.  However, I did do a bit of ugly
hacking and got it there by comparing register values between
X11 and Plan 9.  I never got it to the point where I felt like
I had something that could be submitted back as a patch, but I
did get it working.  It sounds like you're likely to be in the
same boat.

Good luck,
Brian L. Stuart