* [9fans] virtualization
@ 2005-03-26 17:54 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-03-26 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

qemu now accepts kernel help in executing its vm.
http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-accel.html

the interesting parts of the kernel module itself are
closed, but the interface that qemu uses is open.
if anyone out there feels like x86 hacking, it would
be cool to have a plan 9 version of the module so
that qemu could be used as a vmware-substitute
that ran on top of plan 9.

russ

* Re: [9fans] virtualization
@ 2005-03-26 22:26 ` Derek Fawcus
From: Derek Fawcus @ 2005-03-26 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 12:54:22PM -0500, Russ Cox wrote:
> qemu now accepts kernel help in executing its vm.
> http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-accel.html
>
> the interesting parts of the kernel module itself are
> closed, but the interface that qemu uses is open.
> if anyone out there feels like x86 hacking, it would
> be cool to have a plan 9 version of the module so
> that qemu could be used as a vmware-substitute
> that ran on top of plan 9.

Hmm.  qemu depends upon some 'interesting' code generation
using the output of GCC.  So it _really_ needs gcc
as the compiler - generating ELF.

(There are some other flavours of output,  but I'm not sure
 if they're easier than ELF - have a read of dyngen.c)

DF