* [9fans] Documentation
@ 2005-08-08 16:23 Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2005-08-08 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I don't think that the problem is lack of documentation, but that the
existing documentation is badly organized and partially outdated.

If you read:

intro(1) http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html?man=intro&sect=1
ftp://ftp.leo.org/pub/historic/comp/os/plan9/old/doc/README.html (Quite
outdated)
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/9.html (Somewhat outdated)
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/plan_9_wiki/#USING%20THE%20SYSTEM
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/UNIX_to_Plan_9_command_translation
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Tip_o'_the_day
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/FAQ/ (Needs updating)
(And there are quite a few more introductory level papers, but they
overlap)

You should have a good starting point; but some of those documents are a
bit outdated, and they are scattered.

I have put some work in cleaning up and organizing the wiki, specially
reducing the amount of cluttered in the main page so it's easier for new
users to find what they are looking for. Help is very appreciated.

Also I have started a "Recommended readings" page that should have
sections for "New Users", "Users" and "Developers"; each populated with
references to relevant papers, man pages, and other documents. So far
it's just a stub, but feel free to fill in stuff:
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Recommended_Readings

Then there is the "Plan 9 Documentation Task Force" which currently is
not very active, but is a good list of documentation tasks which might
be useful:
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Plan_9_Documentation_Task_Force/

Rather than start writing yet more documentation, first lets fix what we
have, which is a lot, and much of it of very good quality.

Thanks

uriel

On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 05:42:14PM +0200, Retzki, Sascha [Xplain] wrote:
> [...]

only message in thread, other threads:[~2005-08-08 16:23 UTC | newest]