* [9fans] auth(2) auth_wep usage?
@ 2005-08-12  4:17 Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2005-08-12  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have a program that somehow* gets a (wavelan) wep key
and wants to set it (pass it to the wavelan driver).
I've seen there is auth_wep but I can't make it work.
It fails in the dial.
I tried to give it strings like "#l" or "#l0" but
that does not work, especially when I invoke this
auth_wep twice.

I got the impression I have first to push a key
to factotum, after which auth_wep picks it up.
is there a more direct way to do it?
I could not find a libarary routine to push the key
to factotum in some programmatic way.

The simplest trick seems to be to just
open the right control file and write the
control string by hand, and avoid auth_wep.

am I once more overlooking something?

assuming I want key beefdabeef set at index 1,
on the ether0 device, what should I do?

Axel.

p.s. the pipe approach to interact with tls works great.

*) somehow: via 802.1x eap-ttls-pap. it has worked,
but needs cleanup. needs some support here and there
in the system - I'll patch/create those and/or discuss
them here, in due time.

* Re: [9fans] auth(2) auth_wep usage?
@ 2005-08-12 14:30 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-08-12 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I got the impression I have first to push a key
> to factotum, after which auth_wep picks it up.
> is there a more direct way to do it?
> I could not find a libarary routine to push the key
> to factotum in some programmatic way.

read /sys/src/cmd/auth/factotum/wep.c
factotum wep hands off the key directly to the
ethernet card so as not to reveal the secret.
it doesn't sound like that's appropriate here
so just write it directly yourself.

russ

* Re: [9fans] auth(2) auth_wep usage?
@ 2005-08-12 16:00   ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2005-08-12 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> > I got the impression I have first to push a key
> > to factotum, after which auth_wep picks it up.
> > is there a more direct way to do it?
> > I could not find a libarary routine to push the key
> > to factotum in some programmatic way.
>
> read /sys/src/cmd/auth/factotum/wep.c

I already had done so.

> factotum wep hands off the key directly to the
> ethernet card so as not to reveal the secret.

i see.  just curious, is there any particular reason it
only supports keys 1-3 and not 4? (adding is trivial)

> it doesn't sound like that's appropriate here
> so just write it directly yourself.

fully correct. turned out I already had the
control-fd to the card open...

* Re: [9fans] auth(2) auth_wep usage?
@ 2005-08-12 16:09     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-08-12 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> i see.  just curious, is there any particular reason it
> only supports keys 1-3 and not 4? (adding is trivial)

probably just an oversight.

russ