* [9fans] arpreq: 0.0.0.0 also has ether addr <mymac>?
@ 2005-09-23  8:30 Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2005-09-23  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

probably a faq.
the short version:
the system has no ip and /net/ipselftab looks seriously confused,
can this be resolved without reboot? if so, how?

the long version:

when I'm switching (wireless) networks I also
(should) get a different ip via dhcp.
(the 802.1x authenticated lan is on a different subnet
 than the 'open' lan for guests)

sometimes this seems not to work automatically,
in which case I try to

	ip/ipconfig ether /net/ether0 some.ad.dre.ss

after which (usually) /net/ipselftab is empty
and usually ip/ipconfig gets me an ip again.

however, now ip/ipconfig hangs, and I get a lot
of the messages mentioned in the subject,
and /net/ipselftab contains three lines:

:: 01 6u
255.255.255.255 01 6b
ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff 01 6b

(don't remember if I Del-ed out of ip/ipconfig)

I've had this before and remember resolving it by
either once more switching networks, but somehow
the switch to the other one (guests) works fine,
but when switching back to the (authed) net on
which I had problems also brings me back to problems
(even though the 802.1x auth proceeds successfully).

slay-ing all ipconfig processes and starting them
afresh does not help either: now the ipseltab
is even more confused and I when I try to remove
an address from it with ipconfig ipconfig hangs.
the arpreq: error messages have stopped, though.

after this long intro, my question is:
is (could) there (be) a way to resolve this
other than rebooting the machine?

Axel.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2005-09-23  8:30 UTC | newest]