From: Sascha Retzki <sretzki@gmx.de>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: My internet2 (was Re: [9fans] web apps)
Date: Sun,  6 Nov 2005 10:27:41 +0100	[thread overview]

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=unknown-8bit, Size: 1858 bytes --]

On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 11:41:15PM -0800, Christopher Nielsen wrote:
> the first question that comes to mind is how do you replace
> javascript? does it make sense to write a limbo interpreter
> plugin for browsers? does it make sense to design a better
> language and write a plugin for that? is there something else
> entirely?

I am thinking about, hacking and designing some replacement for this
entire §=)("§, but still using http at the moment.

The basic idea is that the index.html goes away and is replaced by a
file format which describes the structure of the entire page (thus
making "sitemap"-creation a semi-automagic process). This description
language tells which groups of files take which region of the screen,
etc.pp.

The second file format (these groups of files) are a "design"-language,
some kind of (I hate to say that, but it describes it best)
Object-orientated language-approatch, so that you can e.g. create your
own button with the help of e.g. five commands, and make that button an
object. This language shall also support animations and all different
kind scriptability. The backend, e.g. database access, is done via CGI
(cgi has never been wrong - it is just hell slow if you don't do it
right (So is java, btw)).
The trick is to void Javascript for example. If you want to design a
homepage, graphically apealing, and still want to maintain availability
(or "compatibility") for disabled persons => today you are pretty f'ed.
If done right (and with respect to things that "the Web"(tm) has
discovered way too late), this file format may become pretty cool.

That is "my internet2", and currently it sucks a lot, but if anybody
feels to help me with specifying cool file formats/languages,
implementing those things and so on and so forth, email me.

Mfg,

Sascha Retzki