* [9fans] upas/fs -f /imap/...
@ 2005-11-15  4:03 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2005-11-15  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i'm trying to get upas/fs to read my imap mbox. after fixing this

; diff imap4.c /home/quanstro/new/plan9/src/cmd/upas/fs/imap4.c
434c434
< 		port = "imap";
---
> 		port = "imap4";

(i don't know if this qualifies as "fixing" but /etc/services didn't have
an imap4 entry and the imap2 entry wasn't the port i was looking for.)

i ran into an authentication problem. it boils down to this:

<-7- Twrite tag 0 fid 1 offset 0 count 69 'start proto=pass service=imap server=mail.speakeasy.org user=qua'
-7-> Rwrite tag 0 count 69
<-7- Tread tag 0 fid 1 offset 69 count 4096
-7-> Rread tag 0 count 22 'error no role in attrs'

i.e. upas/fs isn't sending a "role".

so the question is: do i modify factotum to accept no role or
do i modify upas/fs to send "role=client"?

erik

* Re: [9fans] upas/fs -f /imap/...
@ 2005-11-28 11:14               ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2005-11-28 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, Russ Cox

many thanks.

Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> writes

| Sheesh.  The only reason that upas/fs uses
| "imap4" is that that's what the Plan 9 network database
| calls it.  You seem to be in violent agreement about
| something that is utterly inconsequential.
|
| I changed the requested port to "imap" for the plan9port
| upas/fs, and I also added role=client to the various
| password requests.
|
| Enjoy!
| Russ

* Re: [9fans] upas/fs -f /imap/...
@ 2005-11-28  3:12             ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-11-28  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2005-11-28  3:06           ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2005-11-28  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: erik quanstrom; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Nov 27, 2005, at 6:41 PM, erik quanstrom wrote:

> i happen to agree with you. besides the iana list, neither fedora
> core 3
> nor gentoo have imap4 listed in /etc/services.

Anything that lists or uses 'imap4' as a service name is broken, and
the fix is to change the string to 'imap'.  (Some versions of /etc/
services might list 'imap4' as an alias for 'imap', although this
behaviour is dubious at best.)

--lyndon

* Re: [9fans] upas/fs -f /imap/...
@ 2005-11-28  2:41         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2005-11-28  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs, Lyndon Nerenberg

i didn't mean to offend. sorry. but i still think you're missing the point.
i can fix the code no problem. but that doesn't benefit anybody else.

the parent to my post says:

lucio@proxima.alt.za:

| Imap4 is the same port as imap, unlike imap2.  You need to fix
| /etc/services.  What platform is that?

which would contradict what you've just said.

i happen to agree with you. besides the iana list, neither fedora core 3
nor gentoo have imap4 listed in /etc/services.

- erik

Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca> writes

| On Nov 27, 2005, at 5:32 PM, erik quanstrom wrote:
|
| > uh, if you'd read the thread, you'd understand that you've made my
| > point for me.
|
| Smartass.  Your message was phrased such that it looked like you were
| still asking for confirmation.  I apologize for trying to lend
| assistance to an apparent request for some.
|
| --lyndon

* Re: [9fans] upas/fs -f /imap/...
@ 2005-11-28  2:19       ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2005-11-28  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: erik quanstrom, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2005-11-28  1:32     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2005-11-28  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs, Lyndon Nerenberg

uh, if you'd read the thread, you'd understand that you've made my
point for me.

-- erik

Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca> writes

| On Nov 26, 2005, at 12:48 PM, erik quanstrom wrote:
|
| > sorry for the long delay. it took me a while to find something that
| > looked authoratative enough.
| >
| > 	http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers
| >
| > seems like the right standard. it does not define imap4 (but it does
| > define imap4-ssl).
|
| The service name is 'imap' listening on port 143.

* Re: [9fans] upas/fs -f /imap/...
@ 2005-11-27 23:40   ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2005-11-27 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: erik quanstrom, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

       [not found] <37dce6ddf2e5cbefbf8a246e9a19664f@proxima.alt.za>
@ 2005-11-26 20:48 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2005-11-26 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucio, 9fans

sorry for the long delay. it took me a while to find something that
looked authoratative enough.

seems like the right standard. it does not define imap4 (but it does
define imap4-ssl).

ymmv.

erik

lucio@proxima.alt.za writes