From: "Anselm R. Garbe" <garbeam@gmail.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] wmii? 9p2000 compliant window manager.
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 13:30:39 +0100	[thread overview]

On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 10:35:21PM -0600, erik quanstrom wrote:
> they only lists 19 applications.  they seem to be playing fast-and-loose
> with the copyright though. they only list the x/mit license and credit
> only themselves.

That is not true.

I'm the maintainer of wmii, which does not contain any portions
of plan9 code. It is developed from scratch und completely
licensed under the terms of MIT license.  Beginning with next
version (wmii-3), which is planned for Xmas, all wmii-related
servers (the core window manager, the shortcut manager, a
keyboard driven menu and a pseudo-fs-router) will communicate
via 9P. I implemented a unix library (libixp2) which is designed
to allow very basic 9P client/server implementations, following
the specs from the 9P man pages.

In contrast to wmii I also packaged 9base, which I already
announced on this list long ago, based on plan9port, the mk unix
port - all by Russ and my Makefiles for wmii (because 9base does
not depend on mk).  We use 9base to configure wmii with rc
scripts and included all useful userland tools we need for
writing rc scripts.  In contrast to plan9port we also link
statically against libc. The license details of 9base are
included in the tarball, I'll add them also to the 9base wiki
page to clarify those things, because it seems to confuse people
as this discussion shows.

> their man pages seem to indicate that this is just a window manager.

That is true. The next version will be simply a dynamic window
manager with some tools around and the 9P interface.

Regards,