* [9fans] HTTP-FUSE Xenoppix(Experimental version) Release
@ 2006-01-23  6:41 Kuniyasu Suzaki
From: Kuniyasu Suzaki @ 2006-01-23  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Dear,

We released HTTP-FUSE Xenoppix(Experimental version).
  http://unit.aist.go.jp/itri/knoppix/http-fuse/xen/index-en.html
  ISO file(6.5MB) xenoppix_http_all_testing-20060105.iso
  http://unit.aist.go.jp/itri/knoppix/http-fuse/xen/xenoppix_http/xenoppix_http_all_testing-20060105.iso
  MD5: 229fb45c224ca134285bac47321212d8
  KNOPPIX Forum. Article of HTTP-FUSE Xenoppix. Please add comments.
  http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=99021#99021

HTTP-FUSE Xenoppix is a combination of 1CD Linux "KNOPPIX", Virtual
Machine Monitor "Xen", and network block device "HTTP-FUSE CLOOP".
HTTP-FUSE Xenoppix enables to boot Linux as Guest OS and Plan9
and NetBSD as Guest OS with a 6.5MB bootable CD.

HTTP-FUSE CLOOP is a network block devide which re-constructs a block
device from many small block files of HTTP servers. It enables to get
root file system of Xenoppix. Driver of HTTP-FUSE CLOOP is made from
"cloop(Compressed Loopback block device)" and "FUSE(Filesystem USErspace)".

-----------------------------------
Mirror sites of HTTP-FUSE Xenoppix.
North America (USA, Canada)
  http://aist-gate.com/http-fuse-xenoppix/index.html (Head Quarter FL, US)
  http://aist-knoppix-01.com/http-fuse-xenoppix/index.html (Head Quarter CA, US(ipower))
  http://aist-worldimagehosting.com/http-fuse-xenoppix/index.html (Head Quarter OH, US)
  http://aist-ionhosting.com/http-fuse-xenoppix/index.html  (Head Quarter DE, US)
  http://aist-thewebhostingnetwork.com/http-fuse-xenoppix/index.html (Head Quarter CA, US)
  http://aist-knoppix-14.com/http-fuse-xenoppix/index.html (Head Quarter VA, US)
  http://aist-knoppix-18.com/http-fuse-xenoppix/index.html (Head Quarter CA, US)
  http://aist-siterise.com/http-fuse-xenoppix/index.html (Head Quarter MA, US)
  http://server23.dayanahost.com/~ihnsak07/http-fuse-xenoppix/index.html (US)
  http://www.aist-midphase.com/http-fuse-xenoppix/index.html (Head Quarter IL, US)
  http://www.aist-powweb.com/http-fuse-xenoppix/index.html (US)
  http://aist-ixwebhosting.com/http-fuse-xenoppix/index.html (US)
  http://www.aist-existhost.com/http-fuse-xenoppix/index.html (Head Quarter TX, US)
  http://aist-knoppix-21.com/http-fuse-xenoppix/index.html (Head Quarter, Canada)
Europe (England)
  http://aist-easyspace.com/http-fuse-xenoppix/index.html (Head Quarter, UK)
  http://aist-inetc.com/http-fuse-xenoppix/index.html (Head Quarter, UK)
Asia (Japan)
  Ring Mirror Server Project
    http://aist.ring.gr.jp/archives/linux/knoppix/xenoppix_http/
    http://ring.asahi-net.or.jp/archives/linux/knoppix/xenoppix_http/
    http://ring.nict.go.jp/archives/linux/knoppix/xenoppix_http/
    http://ring.astem.or.jp/archives/linux/knoppix/xenoppix_http/
    http://ring.fujixerox.co.jp/archives/linux/knoppix/xenoppix_http/
    http://ring.ip-kyoto.ad.jp/archives/linux/knoppix/xenoppix_http/
    http://ring.shibaura-it.ac.jp/archives/linux/knoppix/xenoppix_http/
    http://ring.htcn.ne.jp/archives/linux/knoppix/xenoppix_http/
    http://ring.tains.tohoku.ac.jp/archives/linux/knoppix/xenoppix_http/
    http://ring.toyama-u.ac.jp/archives/linux/knoppix/xenoppix_http/
    http://ring.edogawa-u.ac.jp/archives/linux/knoppix/xenoppix_http/
    http://ring.yamanashi.ac.jp/archives/linux/knoppix/xenoppix_http/
    http://ring.nihon-u.ac.jp/archives/linux/knoppix/xenoppix_http/
    http://ring.hosei.ac.jp/archives/linux/knoppix/xenoppix_http/
    http://ring.riken.jp/archives/linux/knoppix/xenoppix_http/
    http://ring.wakwak.com/archives/linux/knoppix/xenoppix_http/
    http://ring.airnet.ne.jp/archives/linux/knoppix/xenoppix_http/
    http://ring.maffin.ad.jp/archives/linux/knoppix/xenoppix_http/
    http://maeda.ring.gr.jp/archives/linux/knoppix/xenoppix_http/
    http://ring.sakura.ad.jp/archives/linux/knoppix/xenoppix_http/
  http://fusesrv.oita-ri.go.jp/knoppix/xenoppix_http/ (Oita-RI)
  http://knoppix.alpha.co.jp/http-fuse-xenoppix/xenoppix_http/(AlphaSystems)
P2P Proxy (coral)
  http://aist.ring.gr.jp.nyud.net:8090/archives/linux/knoppix/xenoppix_http/

------
suzaki

* Re: [9fans] HTTP-FUSE Xenoppix(Experimental version) Release
@ 2006-01-23  6:50 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2006-01-23  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> HTTP-FUSE CLOOP is a network block devide which re-constructs a block
> device from many small block files of HTTP servers. It enables to get
> root file system of Xenoppix. Driver of HTTP-FUSE CLOOP is made from
> "cloop(Compressed Loopback block device)" and "FUSE(Filesystem USErspace)".

that sounds really complicated. i hope it's just me.

* Re: [9fans] HTTP-FUSE Xenoppix(Experimental version) Release
@ 2006-01-23  6:58   ` Kuniyasu Suzaki
From: Kuniyasu Suzaki @ 2006-01-23  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 >>From: andrey mirtchovski <mirtchovski@gmail.com>
 >>Subject: Re: [9fans] HTTP-FUSE Xenoppix(Experimental version) Release
 >>
 >>> HTTP-FUSE CLOOP is a network block devide which re-constructs a block
 >>> device from many small block files of HTTP servers. It enables to get
 >>> root file system of Xenoppix. Driver of HTTP-FUSE CLOOP is made from
 >>> "cloop(Compressed Loopback block device)" and "FUSE(Filesystem USErspace)".
 >>
 >>that sounds really complicated. i hope it's just me.

Please visit our home page.
  http://unit.aist.go.jp/itri/knoppix/http-fuse/xen/index-en.html

I home following figure will help your understand.
  http://unit.aist.go.jp/itri/knoppix/http-fuse/xen/http-fuse-driver-h.GIF

HTTP-FUSE CLOOP is similer to Venti, I think.
  http://unit.aist.go.jp/itri/knoppix/http-fuse/index-en.html#detail

------

@ 2006-01-23  7:08   ` Christoph Lohmann
From: Christoph Lohmann @ 2006-01-23  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Good day.

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 23:50:09 -0700
andrey mirtchovski <mirtchovski@gmail.com> wrote:

> > HTTP-FUSE CLOOP is a network block devide which re-constructs a block
> > device from many small block files of HTTP servers. It enables to get
> > root file system of Xenoppix. Driver of HTTP-FUSE CLOOP is made from
> > "cloop(Compressed Loopback block device)" and "FUSE(Filesystem
> > USErspace)".
>
> that sounds really complicated. i hope it's just me.

See httpfile(4).

Sincerely,

Christoph

* Re: [9fans] HTTP-FUSE Xenoppix(Experimental version) Release
@ 2006-01-23  8:24     ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2006-01-23  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> that sounds really complicated. i hope it's just me.
>
>See httpfile(4).

It would be amusing to see (if anyone had the time)
if plan9 could boot using httpfile (and probably cfs and ramfs)
I.E. the kernel could be run up getting its filesystem over http
to a remote ISO image.

Yes, you'r right, it would be a waste of time, amusing nontheless.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] HTTP-FUSE Xenoppix(Experimental version) Release
@ 2006-01-23 12:22     ` uriel
From: uriel @ 2006-01-23 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>  >>From: andrey mirtchovski <mirtchovski@gmail.com>
>  >>Subject: Re: [9fans] HTTP-FUSE Xenoppix(Experimental version) Release
>  >>
>  >>> HTTP-FUSE CLOOP is a network block devide which re-constructs a block
>  >>> device from many small block files of HTTP servers. It enables to get
>  >>> root file system of Xenoppix. Driver of HTTP-FUSE CLOOP is made from
>  >>> "cloop(Compressed Loopback block device)" and "FUSE(Filesystem USErspace)".
>  >>
>  >>that sounds really complicated. i hope it's just me.
>
> Please visit our home page.
>   http://unit.aist.go.jp/itri/knoppix/http-fuse/xen/index-en.html
>
> I home following figure will help your understand.
>   http://unit.aist.go.jp/itri/knoppix/http-fuse/xen/http-fuse-driver-h.GIF
>
> HTTP-FUSE CLOOP is similer to Venti, I think.
>   http://unit.aist.go.jp/itri/knoppix/http-fuse/index-en.html#detail
Why not use 9P and v9fs? FUSE sucks.

uriel

* Re: [9fans] HTTP-FUSE Xenoppix(Experimental version) Release
@ 2006-01-23 12:42     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-01-23 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, Kuniyasu Suzaki

this is an interesting idea for linux.

9p is in the standard linux kernel. have you considered using 9p instead of http?
if you did you could directly mount the cd with only the 9p kernel
module running in the kernel.

you would give up compression and caching by using 9p directly.
but you could write a 9p server that uses your block scheme to provide
blocks to a second 9p server that serves up the original .iso.
both 9p servers could be mounted. no loopback or fuse would be required.

- erik

Kuniyasu Suzaki <k.suzaki@aist.go.jp> writes

@ 2006-01-23 14:27       ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-01-23 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Why not use 9P and v9fs?  FUSE sucks.

I am not convinced of this.  I do wish FUSE had
a notion of an open file, though.  (Maybe it does
and the examples just don't use it.  I can't tell
whether there is a close call or not.)

Russ

* Re: [9fans] HTTP-FUSE Xenoppix(Experimental version) Release
@ 2006-01-23 14:28       ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-01-23 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> It would be amusing to see (if anyone had the time)
> if plan9 could boot using httpfile (and probably cfs and ramfs)
> I.E.  the kernel could be run up getting its filesystem over http
> to a remote ISO image.

Of course it could.

* Re: [9fans] HTTP-FUSE Xenoppix(Experimental version) Release
@ 2006-01-23 15:59         ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2006-01-23 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i tend to agree with uriel this time.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2578 bytes --]

From: "Russ Cox" <rsc@swtch.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] HTTP-FUSE Xenoppix(Experimental version) Release
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 09:27:59 -0500

@ 2006-01-24 10:57       ` Kuniyasu Suzaki
From: Kuniyasu Suzaki @ 2006-01-24 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The topic has moved to another thread...
but I want to make clear my approach.
# If my uderstanding is wrong, please tell me.

HTTP-FUSE CLOOP is pragmatic. We don't want to use special protocol
and special server software. We want to utilize established
infrastructures, like Web server and proxy.

# We developed SFS-KNOPPIX. SFS-KNOPPIX uses Self-certifying File
# System to mount root file system. It failed because it requires
# special server software and lacks scalability, I guess.
#   SFS KNOPPIX http://unit.aist.go.jp/itri/knoppix/sfs/index-en.html
#   Self-certifying File System http://www.fs.net/sfswww/

httpfs (httpfile on Plan9?) may be another solution but we want to
make better performance and reused transferred block data. Usually
transferred block dada by file system are volatile and aren't reusable
for next boot.

HTTP-FUSE CLOOP divides block device in small piece and saves them to
small block files. The small files are downloaded and can be saved to
a local storage. They are reusable for next boot. If necessary block
files are saved to a local storage, HTTP-FUSE CLOOP enables to boot OS
form the local storage.  Furthermore the small block files also can be
cached by proxy. I will make possible scalability. The current
implementation uses Coral 2P2 proxy.
  Coral P2P proxy project http://www.coralcdn.org/

------
suzaki