* [9fans] multiple ethernet cards
@ 2006-03-19 18:17 Glenn Holmer
From: Glenn Holmer @ 2006-03-19 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi, new Plan 9 user here.  I installed it on a machine with two Ethernet
cards, and both of them appear to be recognized by the system (they're
listed as #l0 and #l1 before the username prompt).  But there's only
one card listed in /net (ether0) after the system comes up.  I've
successfully set up networking with that card (able to ping external
hosts, &c.), but would rather use the other card instead.  How can I
set that up?

   Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)
   "Greater coherence cannot be achieved.  Not even the
    Netherlanders have managed this."  -Anton Webern

* Re: [9fans] multiple ethernet cards
@ 2006-03-19 18:22 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2006-03-19 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

man ipconfig. there's information there on how to bind a second
interface. either edit the namespace.local or termrc (cpurc if running
a cpu server) to bind it and a tcp stack in /net.

* Re: [9fans] multiple ethernet cards
@ 2006-03-19 18:24   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2006-03-19 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

furthermore, if you want to choose which card appears as #l0 you can
do so by specifying ether0=type in plan9.ini (that's if the two cards
are of different types).

@ 2006-03-20  2:47     ` Glenn Holmer
From: Glenn Holmer @ 2006-03-20  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sunday 19 March 2006 12:24, andrey mirtchovski wrote:
> furthermore, if you want to choose which card appears as #l0 you can
> do so by specifying ether0=type in plan9.ini (that's if the two cards
> are of different types).

Thanks, that worked nicely (ether0=type=i82543).

I did have some trouble finding and editing plan9.ini, possibly because
it's on the second IDE drive; I ended up mounting it as a DOS partition
from Linux.