* Re: [9fans] this is not an advocacy question
@ 2006-05-26  9:51 Fco. J. Ballesteros
From: Fco. J. Ballesteros @ 2006-05-26  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

:  I believe that the current Styx will interoperate with 9P2000, but
:  haven't tried it myself.

One of my students made a 9p library in Java, (I know...), and
it can speak well with Inferno (no auth, though).

* Re: [9fans] this is not an advocacy question
@ 2006-05-26 17:32 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-05-26 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

what language are you using?
do you need a general 9p library or just a few bits?

- erik

On Fri May 26 12:04:27 CDT 2006, lionkov@lanl.gov wrote:
> I know about that one, but it depends on too many external jars. I
> need a simple 9P2000 client library.
>
> On May 26, 2006, at 9:53 AM, Skip Tavakkolian wrote:
>
> >> How can I get that library. I started writing one myself, but if
> >> the one you
> >> mention is good enough, it will save me the effort :)
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> 	Lucho

> > I'm not sure if nemo is talking about the same one. i saw this one
> > recently:
> >
> > http://www.resc.rdg.ac.uk/jstyx/

* [9fans] this is not an advocacy question
@ 2006-05-26  7:10 Corey
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Corey @ 2006-05-26  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

However I'm curious:

When would one prefer/opt to use/deploy Plan9 over Inferno,
and/or vice versa?

As far as I've been able to tell, it appears that Inferno is pretty
much Plan9, but with a couple "additions" - namely: Limbo and
Dis - and thus a different development model. Do they both use
the same kernel? How much common userland do they share?
( is "Styx" just a renamed 9P2000? )

To rephrase my question:

To what extent(s) does Inferno differ from Plan9? What approximate
percentage of Inferno consists of Plan9 v4?

( I'm not yet looking for pros/cons of either - just what the actual,
fundamental technical/functional differences are. )

Thanks for the clue!  I come from a unix client/server background,
so I'm still working at simply getting my head around this "new"
environment from a 40,000 ft. view.

I've become very interested in distributed computing, as approached
from a Plan9 perspective, and I am very much appreciating the general
"keep it small, clean/correct and focused" mentality/objective which
is very apparent.

Thanks!