* [9fans] Noob hardware question
@ 2006-06-11 19:59 e.c.sharpe
From: e.c.sharpe @ 2006-06-11 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Greetings,

I have been reading about Plan9 and am very keen to try it
out, so I downloaded the iso and burned it to a cd but
couldn't get it to boot on my Toshiba Portege 7020ct.
Proably I just wrote a bad disc but before I retry I
wanted to ask if anyone has got it running on or knows any
reason why it wouldn't run on this machine? I've seen quite a
few reports of it running on a Toshiba Satellite, nothing
about the Portege though.

Also, I have really enjoyed lurking here recently, you have a
really lively community.

Thanks Much,
ecs

* Re: [9fans] Noob hardware question
@ 2006-06-11 20:04 ` Rodolfo (kix)
From: Rodolfo (kix) @ 2006-06-11 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

What is the problem?

--
Rodolfo García "kix"

* Re: [9fans] Noob hardware question
@ 2006-06-11 20:20   ` e.c.sharpe
From: e.c.sharpe @ 2006-06-11 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 22:04:03 +0200
"Rodolfo (kix)" <rodolfogarciap@gmail.com> wrote:

> What is the problem?

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear?
The disc just doesn't boot. I can mount it and look at it but
my machine doesn't find it bootable.  I want to determine
(before burning a new one) whether it's the disc or a hardware
incompatability, so I ask if anyone has knowledge of this
specific model's (Toshiba Portege 7020ct) compatablity with
Plan9 (fourth edition). I burned it on a Debian machine using
cdrecord from the CLI, as I've done previously with iso
images.

Thanks
ecs

@ 2006-06-11 22:23     ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2006-06-11 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You could download qemu & boot it with that to see if it is a image or
actually a hardware
problem. Besides, for a new user, qemu may be better anyway (no need to blow
away
working OS, plus you can switch in and out of it).

--
Lead thou me on, O Zeus, and Destiny,
To that goal long ago to me assigned.

* Re: [9fans] Noob hardware question
@ 2006-06-12  8:34       ` e.c.sharpe
From: e.c.sharpe @ 2006-06-12  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

So I took your advice after all and good advice it was,
thanks! The plan9 cd won't boot on this machine but it will
run in qemu with FreeBSD, so I suppose I have my answer.  Also
I was mistaken to assume that virtualisation would bog my
machine down, it runs *very* well. I am so impressed...
Thanks again.
:)
 ecs

@ 2006-06-12  8:58 ecs
From: ecs @ 2006-06-12  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Greetings,

I have been reading about Plan9 and am very keen to try it
out, so I downloaded the iso and burned it to a cd but
couldn't get it to boot on my Toshiba Portege 7020ct.
Proably I just wrote a bad disc but before I retry I
wanted to ask if anyone has got it running on or knows any
reason why it wouldn't rum on this machine? I've seen quite a
few reports of it running on a Toshiba Satellite, nothing
about the Portege though.

Also, I have really enjoyed lurking here recently, you guys