* [9fans] installing Plan 9 under Microsoft's free Virtual PC?
@ 2006-07-24 18:34 Andrew Hudson
From: Andrew Hudson @ 2006-07-24 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

For the record, I got past the MBR problem by running under Windows XP
(Not sure if that's necessary) and choosing the virtual file system as
the boot device.

Although I'm now in the 9660srv command, and it is unable to find the
distribution on the CD. Is this an indication of a bad CD image? When
I cd to various folders and lc I get an I/O Read Error. I can see the
bootdisk.img in this folder.

Thanks,
Andrew

* Re: [9fans] installing Plan 9 under Microsoft's free Virtual PC?
@ 2006-07-24 19:34 ` Álvaro Jurado Cuevas
From: Álvaro Jurado Cuevas @ 2006-07-24 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

El Lunes, 24 de Julio de 2006 20:34, Andrew Hudson escribió:
> For the record, I got past the MBR problem by running under Windows XP
> (Not sure if that's necessary) and choosing the virtual file system as
> the boot device.
>
> Although I'm now in the 9660srv command, and it is unable to find the
> distribution on the CD. Is this an indication of a bad CD image? When
> I cd to various folders and lc I get an I/O Read Error. I can see the
> bootdisk.img in this folder.
I selected root CD directory and worked fine.

--
Elbing

Por favor, cambia mi dirección en tus listas de mailing y actualízala a:

elbingmiss@gmail.com

* Re: [9fans] installing Plan 9 under Microsoft's free Virtual PC?
@ 2006-07-24 22:32 ` Sascha Retzki
From: Sascha Retzki @ 2006-07-24 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> For the record, I got past the MBR problem by running under Windows XP
> (Not sure if that's necessary) and choosing the virtual file system as
> the boot device.
>
> Although I'm now in the 9660srv command, and it is unable to find the
> distribution on the CD. Is this an indication of a bad CD image? When
> I cd to various folders and lc I get an I/O Read Error. I can see the
> bootdisk.img in this folder.

Yes that sounds like a broken disk or similar. Btw, basicly the distribution is in /, so you can just browse to / and exit (and you end up in / when you start 'browsing') - but iirc you cannot just enter / because there is a mountpoint in front. (imho)

So the fastest method of selecting the distribution is to 'browse' and imedietly exit the little-shell.

@ 2006-07-25 10:31                       ` Paweł Lasek
From: Paweł Lasek @ 2006-07-25 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 7/24/06, Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov> wrote:
> you're probably fine on older linux distros.

nexus is netbsd 3.0 xen0 kernel (the one bundled with distro), because
we have enough windows and linux machines and wanted a place to have
fun with *BSD. NetBSD got in because of having both host and guest
kernel, allowing us to dump linux (which was to be the host in the
beginning, with *bsd guest and plan9 guest), which is good with our
limited resources.... (128MB ram isn't much when you have to divide it
between 3 oses and xen :-) )

--
Paul Lasek

* Re: [9fans] installing Plan 9 under Microsoft's free Virtual PC?
@ 2006-07-24 20:30                     ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-07-24 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-07-24 20:24                     ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2006-07-24 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> which software do you mean here? xen 2, xen 3, plan 9 on xen[23]?
>
> All of it :-)
>
> My original intent was if any bit required to compile xenU kernel has
> changed enough to break compilation

The guest/host OS interface changed sufficiently between xen2 and xen3
that the 9xen network and block device drivers needed to be rewritten
from scratch.

The Plan 9 guest kernel needs to be compiled using the xen/public C header
files from the xen host version you want to run on.  I have tested
it with xen3.0.2 (the current "stable" release), which is the only
xen3 version I have been able to build and run on any of my machines.
In theory a guest kernel built for xen3.0.n is supposed to work with
{xen3.0.m: m >= n}, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Above the kernel level, of course, everything does "just work" - in
fact I switch back and forth between native Plan 9 and 9xen using
the same fossil root file system.

* Re: [9fans] installing Plan 9 under Microsoft's free Virtual PC?
@ 2006-07-24 19:42                   ` Paweł Lasek
From: Paweł Lasek @ 2006-07-24 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 7/24/06, Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov> wrote:
> sure, assume that. What could possibly go wrong? IT's just software!

Well - After my last work of trying to get cpu/auth server running I
got quite tired with software :-)

And when I am tired I start to think about worst cases....

--
Paul Lasek

* Re: [9fans] installing Plan 9 under Microsoft's free Virtual PC?
@ 2006-07-24 19:30                 ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-07-24 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-07-24 19:03               ` Paweł Lasek
From: Paweł Lasek @ 2006-07-24 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 7/24/06, Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov> wrote:

> once I got it going on 2.0, there was really nothing to do. And now that
>   Richard Miller has it going on 3.0, there is again ... not much else
> to do.
>
> Every time I used 2.0, it Just Plain Worked -- try the Xen-knoppix cd.

So I am safe to assume that when I'll try to recompile the sources
there won't be some fuc*-up because of version mismatch? :-D

Actually it's pretty important information - When I return to school
I'll be propably upgrading our plan9 cpu/auth server (the proliant
box) while making it work at last :-) (Still can't get auth working so
I could drawterm inside...)

> I can not yet build xen 3.0 on my box, but as soon as I can , well, I'll
> be doing plan  9 + xen

It would be interesting to see Plan9 as Xen3 guest... because I have
seen somewhere an "inofficial" linux/xen3 module named along the lines
of "nvidia-xen" :-D Since I can;t spare another machine at home, I'd
like not to loose hw accel on graphics (And no, it's not because of a
lot of pixels for desktop - actually my desktop works fine with low
footprint while looking IMHO better than Gnome/XGL :D)

--
Paul Lasek

* Re: [9fans] installing Plan 9 under Microsoft's free Virtual PC?
@ 2006-07-24 18:45             ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-07-24 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-07-24 18:41             ` Sascha Retzki
From: Sascha Retzki @ 2006-07-24 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> the installation should have asked you whether you want dma turned
>> on, if you said "yes" and it was still slow then the chipset is
>> probably not supported. with dma on the installation copies all files
>> in less than 5 minutes on reasonable hardware.
>
> Back when I have been installing it didn't ask anything about DMA.

then the image might be hell-old ;)

@ 2006-07-24 18:39           ` Paweł Lasek
From: Paweł Lasek @ 2006-07-24 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-07-24 18:32         ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2006-07-24 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-07-24 18:32         ` Sascha Retzki
From: Sascha Retzki @ 2006-07-24 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On 7/24/06, andrey mirtchovski <andrey@lanl.gov> wrote:
>> did you try 'echo dma on > /dev/sdC0/ctl; echo rwm on > /dev/sdC0/ctl'?
>
> I didn't, because I didn't know about it - It was my first try at Plan 9.
>
> Maybe someone with access could add this to install instructions?

I am pretty sure the installer now asks if one want to enable dma. I could be wrong, tho

@ 2006-07-24 18:28       ` Paweł Lasek
From: Paweł Lasek @ 2006-07-24 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-07-24 18:24     ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2006-07-24 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-07-24 18:21   ` Paweł Lasek
From: Paweł Lasek @ 2006-07-24 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 7/24/06, elbing <elbingmiss@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've got running Plan9 in a Virtual PC 5.3.582.27 (not free), with XP in an
> Acer Aspire AMD 2.0GHz (Sempron 3000, 1GB RAM) and tipycal hardware. When it
> asked me about mbr, it offered to create a new mbr, I said "y" and
> installation continued without problems. It copied filesystem very slow,
> around one hour.

Normal, at least for me - never got Plan 9 to copy itself faster than
nosebleed (since I never had time to delve into it, I left it as-is),
no matter on what it was installed...

tried hardware:
Celeron 1100 MHz, 256MB RAM, 5400 4.3GB ata-disk (slow drive, about 10
MB/s peak?) - I stopped checking how much time passed and found myself
a long book (after around 1 hour)
the same - under Xen 2.0.7, same disk (needed to left it to work at night)
the same - under Qemu w/o kqemu, disk image on 7,200 120 GB ata-drive
(maybe not a speed demon, but fast drive) (all night work again)

Compaq Proliant 1850R (netbsd xen 2.0.7 host), 1x Pentium II 400 MHz,
32 MB ram, installing with disk being an image on UFS at 7,200 SCSI
4,3GB (got plan9 installed after over 2 hrs)

--
Paul Lasek

* Re: [9fans] installing Plan 9 under Microsoft's free Virtual PC?
@ 2006-07-24 17:14 ` elbing
From: elbing @ 2006-07-24 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-07-24 16:41 Andrew Hudson