* [9fans] sources contrib/axel/rushhour
@ 2006-07-24 14:12 Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2006-07-24 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've combined pieces of sokoban and memo into rush hour
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush_Hour_%28board_game%29

Axel.

* Re: [9fans] sources contrib/axel/rushhour
@ 2006-07-24 17:02 ` Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2006-07-24 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hola,

nice game, I'm playing it right now.

thank!

Federico G. Benavento

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4189 bytes --]

From: Axel Belinfante <Axel.Belinfante@cs.utwente.nl>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] sources contrib/axel/rushhour
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 16:12:20 +0200

@ 2006-07-24 21:25   ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2006-07-24 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

great. I've just uploaded an updated version that
by default shows the familiar cars which makes it
less 'cluttered'. it uses faces when invoked with '-f'
or when the faces button 3 menu item is pressed.

Axel.

I wrote:
> > I've combined pieces of sokoban and memo into rush hour
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush_Hour_%28board_game%29

* Re: Re: [9fans] sources contrib/axel/rushhour
@ 2006-07-24 23:32     ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-07-24 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

This is really cool...

@ 2006-07-25  0:25       ` dmr
From: dmr @ 2006-07-25  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Odd fact: my brother Bill and his wife Andrea Barthello are the creators
and owners of Thinkfun (f/k/a Binary Arts).  Rush Hour remains one of
their perpetual best sellers.  (Don't send me the physical version, I'm up to
my ass in them).  However, I'll point Bill at the simulation
and perhaps try it out.

	Dennis

* Re: [9fans] sources contrib/axel/rushhour
@ 2006-07-25 13:45         ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2006-07-25 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

it's a small world, after all. (even though we know it is,
these occasional unexpected reminders/confirmations are nice).

rush hour is my first thinkfun game, and unlikely to be the last
(it came with a leaflet presenting other intreaging games ...)
I got first 'exposed' to rush hour some years ago at the social event
of an IPA research school event where we played 'live rush hour' using
big cardboard boxes. plan 9 sokoban provided the inspiration for
this simulation; the summer holidays free time makes it happen.
which is good, because now the children can play it simultaneously:
the oldest on the computer(*), the youngest the physical one.

this simulation is like many others (even more so since I 'reused'
the car images from puzzles.com (**)) - apart from the 'faces view'
that I started with before I found the cars at puzzles.com, which is
unlikely to be present in any other simulation.

I hope to use rush hour to learn more about draw(2), e.g. to
make the motion of the cars more smoothly (right now they
move one 'tile' at a time), and to use transparency when
drawing the cars over the tiles. a solution finder with
animation would be nice too, but that's rather unlikely to happen.

Axel.

(*) sokoban ('the rabbit game') is appreciated too
(**) this may put me into jeopardy when I get the extension card
sets and want to add their challenges since (at least so far)
I did not find images of the cars provided with the extension sets