* [9fans] Re: Help a poor man out - poor man's installation.
@ 2007-03-16 18:45 ramkromberg
From: ramkromberg @ 2007-03-16 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>If you have anough disk to generate a FAT partition to temporarly hold
>the unzip'ed ISO then put it there - or maybe put a spare hard disk in
>box temporarly.
>
>You should then be able to use the boot/install floppy image which is on
the
>same page as the ISO at the bell-labs site to start the installer.
>
>It will offer the devices where it thinks the ISO should live and you
can
>chose your FAT partition; and you are off...
>
>Don't worry if it takes a long time it often doesn't use DMA during
install
>but you can turn that on later. Alsi I would suggest you do a fossil
only
>install for now unless you want to build a proper fileserver, again you
>can convert later.
>
>-Steve

I already tried it like so:
hda1 linux swap
hda2 bootable fat32 with grub4dos
hda3 Freesco Linux

I put the plan9.iso on hda2 and booted the floppy and got:
Boot device: fd0
boot from:

so I entered :
boot from: sdC1!plan9.iso

What did I do wrong ?

* [9fans] Re: Help a poor man out - poor man's installation.
@ 2007-03-17  6:56 ramkromberg
From: ramkromberg @ 2007-03-17  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>you didn't do anything wrong.  i don't think 9load recognizes your
>[sp]ata chipset.  you should see something like this if it recognises
>the hd:
>
>    Boot devices: fd0 ether0 sdC0!dos sdC0!9fat
>
>in your case you should see sdC1!dos in the list.  one further bit,
>plan 9 does not recognize fat32.
>
>- erik

ya, i tried sdC1!dos so its must be the hardware.
Figures as much, it is somewhat of a legacy HW ;-)
Well, I suppose this thread is resolved, I won't even bother with asking
a driver +/- patched kernel so its VM for me ;-)

Thankes !
Ram Kromberg
ramkromberg@mail.com

* Re: [9fans] Re: Help a poor man out - poor man's installation.
@ 2007-03-16 19:12 erik quanstrom