From: Martin Neubauer <m.ne@gmx.net>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Update on Fossil+Venti Stuff
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 07:54:18 +0100	[thread overview]

* Devon H. O'Dell (devon.odell@gmail.com) wrote:
> 2007/3/23, Martin Neubauer <m.ne@gmx.net>:
> >* Devon H. O'Dell (devon.odell@gmail.com) wrote:
> >> 10.0.0.10# con -l /srv/fscons
> >> prompt: fsys main snaptime
> >>    snaptime -a 0500 -s 60 -t 2880
> >>
> >> I should note that I've manually modified this to happen a few times a
> >> day. Each time, my usage goes down a couple gigs. Why doesn't it just
> >> go ahead and sync everything?
> >
> >It does sync everything active. There are probably still some intermediate
> >snapshots there that are not written to venti. Those stay there until they
> >expire after 2 days (2880 minutes). You can always do an explicit snapclean
> >or try lowering the time snapshots are kept.
>
> I'm not disagreeing that this is supposed to happen, and I hate saying
> it's wrong, but it's not what I'm seeing, and I don't see anything
> invalid in my configuration. I can snap -a, and it won't go to venti.
> I ran snapclean and nothing went down. After that, I changed the
> snaptime so that it would run a Venti dump in 5 minutes. 10 minutes
> later, I see no difference.

For snaptime, -a means ``time when to take archival dump.'' So you probably
just made fossil dump 5 minutes after midnight. -s sets the interval (in
minutes) between intermediate snapshots, -t the time (in minutes) after
which old snapshots are discarded. If a snapshot of a file is referenced as
the current version but isn't yet written to venti it is kept until the next
dump.

> So I'm either missing something fundamental here, something's really
> broken, or I'm just dumb. I'm willing to concede the latter of the 3,
> but it would be really nice to be enlightened. Is there anything I can
> show you guys to help diagnose the issue further?

If it helps, it took some time for me to get a grasp of the workings, too.
(And I'm sure there are still plenty of pitfalls for me to run into...)

	Martin