* [9fans] working with the wiki
@ 2007-03-26 23:21 ramkromberg
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: ramkromberg @ 2007-03-26 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I think I fundamentally misunderstand how the wiki works,
working with
"http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Acme_wiki_instructions/index.html"
I'm finding the system less intuitive then author intended :-(

Basically I "srv net!plan9.bell-labs.com!wiki wiki /mnt/wiki" and then
"acme /mnt/wiki/" to find the sandbox "/mnt/wiki/sandbox/index.html" with
permissions denied,
So I'm thinking "obviously this is database driven like php and alike" so
I'm trying to write stuff to the index.txt, again no luck :-(
next is the sub-directories, again "permission denied"...
Maybe its a question of overwriting other people work ? no new file
allowed to be put...

I know its probably something very basic in not just how the wiki works
but probably how plan 9 works, unfortunately I just can't figure it out,
I'm guessing I'm simply trying to edit the wrong files, or I need to auth
for read/write access, but I just don't get it...

P.S: Though I understand that limiting access to editing using plan 9
itself rather then having an edit button is useful in reducing vandalism,
I still prefer having an edit button in a browser, but I guess a browser
will be a good start ;-)

Help
Ram Kromberg
ramkromberg@mail.com

* Re: [9fans] working with the wiki
@ 2007-03-26 23:27 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2007-03-26 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

you'll need to srv with a username and password (normally it attaches as
none). it used to be that you can get an account on sources automatically,
but i have no idea how you get one now (perhaps something to add to the wiki
if it isn't there :)

* Re: [9fans] working with the wiki
@ 2007-03-26 23:51 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2007-03-26 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

There is an acme program called "Wiki" that you
are supposed to run instead of opening /mnt/wiki directly.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] working with the wiki
@ 2007-03-27  0:57 ` Lee Duhem
From: Lee Duhem @ 2007-03-27  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 01:21:39AM +0200, ramkromberg@mail.com wrote:
> I think I fundamentally misunderstand how the wiki works,
> working with
> "http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Acme_wiki_instructions/index.html"
> I'm finding the system less intuitive then author intended :-(
>
> Basically I "srv net!plan9.bell-labs.com!wiki wiki /mnt/wiki" and then
> "acme /mnt/wiki/" to find the sandbox "/mnt/wiki/sandbox/index.html" with
> permissions denied,
> So I'm thinking "obviously this is database driven like php and alike" so
> I'm trying to write stuff to the index.txt, again no luck :-(
> next is the sub-directories, again "permission denied"...
> Maybe its a question of overwriting other people work ? no new file
> allowed to be put...

Please do *exactly* what you are told in

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Acme_wiki_instructions/index.html

and try again.

lee

* Re: [9fans] working with the wiki
@ 2007-03-27  4:12   ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2007-03-27  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You certainly don't need an account to access or edit the wiki. The
only thing an account is needed for this days is if you want to have
your own /n/sources/contrib
directory.

Ram: open /acme/wiki/guide in acme, execute the first line of that
file, then execute the third line. You are set.

Best wishes

uriel

@ 2007-03-27  4:16     ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2007-03-27  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

my bad, please scratch my earlier post from the record.