Thanks erik, though I now only have access to the qemu machine (I'm not not home) I think using kbmap will help allot by creating a map in /sys/lib/kbmap/ to replace the start key with the middle mouse button and maybe I'll even add in something for the mouse wheels (I see mouse-csa and mouse-fn are a common solutions to laptop ;-) ). I'm still hoping for someone to guide me through on debugging the mouse, any takers ? Again, I know its not a hardware issue but rather a driver issue... P.S: As far as I can gather, the system register the serial port as /dev/some-device then a second driver interprets the signal to a second /dev/some-mouse-device and then rio does the rest, So its a matter of identifying which devices are responsible to what, reading out the information (cat won't work, I need to monitor the info in a more "lively" fashion), identifying which part fails, and then making the necessary modifications (code & compile ? script ? definitions file ?), I just don't have the skillz... help... :-) Thanks, Ram Kromberg ramkromberg@mail.com