* [9fans] Recovering a venti from disk failure
@ 2007-04-19  4:05 Anthony Sorace
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2007-04-19  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I had a disk fail a few days ago, after a power outage here. Various
spots in the fossil partition generate IO errors. The Venti arenas
seem intact. I've bought a new (and larger) drive, and have done a
basic Plan 9 install onto that, and moved the old disk from sdC0 to
sdD0. I'd like to recover the data from my old venti. It looks like
the process looks like this:

1) Boot off new disk.
2) Recover last score from old fossil w/ fossil/last (this works).
3) Start a venti running off old disk (will require editing venti/conf?)
4) venti/copy old-venti new-venti score-from-setp-2
5) Reboot off some other medium.
6) Reformat new fossil from new venti using score from step 2.
7) Reboot off new fossil+venti.

Does that sound like an accurate script? Can anyone who's done this
confirm? By chance an easier way?
Anthony

* Re: [9fans] Recovering a venti from disk failure
@ 2007-04-19  4:37 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2007-04-19  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > 4) venti/copy old-venti new-venti score-from-setp-2

you might want to add '-f' option to venti/copy or copying
could take really long long time if you had a long history
of dump.