On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 01:29:03PM +0100, Derek Fawcus wrote: >That sounds like a bug in the apple stuff. AFAICR "STRING" encoding >means 8 bit latin1 (8859-1) characters. So unless the apple code is >complaining about bytes for which there is no 8859-1 character, I'm >not sure what's happening. The behavior is undefined if a STRING is not in the 'Host Portable Character Set', but it's not the X server which causes the problem, it's the owner of the selection which converts it to a STRING from UTF-8. I'd guess that most apps use iconv (ick) for the conversion. Some apps give you a '?', some give \xXXXX, \uXXXX, or the like. Incidentally, snarfer is still broken in this manner. -- Kris Maglione If at first you don't succeed, try something else.