From: frank@inua.be (Frank Lenaerts)
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] sd53c8xx: bios scntl3(00) stest2(00)
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 23:59:59 +0200	[thread overview]

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 10:49:35AM +0100, Charles Forsyth wrote:
> i'd suspect that the interrupts aren't getting through.

That's also what I first thought. Before posting my question to the
list, I therefore also checked the IRQ assignments to the PCI slots
and put the card in the one PCI slot that didn't share an IRQ with
another PCI slot.

Apart from the PCI slots however, there are still some other devices
(like AC97 audio and USB ports) sharing IRQs so I started playing with
them i.e. disabling devices, checking IRQ assignment, ...

All this trial and error, with lots of reboots, finally resulted in 1
BIOS setting being crucial namely "Assignment of IRQ to USB". If this
is enabled, the system "hangs", if it is disabled, the system
boots[*].

Note that I also removed a dual serial port PCI card. I will add this
one again tomorrow and test with the latest Plan 9 CD.

[*] With an older Plan 9 CD I had because the one from May 21 2007
    seemed to be broken (also already mentionned by someone else on
    the list).

--
Frank Lenaerts ---------------------------------------- frank@inua.be