From: Jens Arm <Jens.Arm@gmx.de>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] p9 installation in qemu
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 09:58:45 +0200	[thread overview]

> > I'm new to p9 and before installing on real hardware I want to try it in qemu.
>
> Hello and welcome on board!

Thank you, for the answers.

> > 1.
> > When installing from local media (CD) the CD gets mounted by the installer with
> > "mount /srv/9660 /n/distmedia /dev/sdD0/data" so why I have to enter "/" at the prompt
> > "Location of archives [browse]:" and not "/n/distmedia" where the CD is mounted? What is correct?
> > Looks like "/" ist working, but it is correct?
> /dev/sdD0/data is probably correct (If your cd is sdD0, it is correct)
> / is correct

OK - I try it on weekend on real hardware

> > 2.
> > Updating the installed p9 with new daily ISO burned on CD does not work as described in the wiki
> > http://cm.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Staying_up_to_date/index.html
> >
> > I get an error that /dist/replica/cd can not be found. Tested on real hardware, too (same error)
> > Must I login with another user as glenda or is updating from CD broken?
>
> I don't know... I suggest ip/ipconfig && ndb/dns -r && pull (I am
> supposing you have avaliable networking capabilities)

The network card on my real hardware (old compaq notebook) is a conexant lan which is not known in p9 :(
In Linux you need a recent tulip driver for that card to work.

So I must update from CD.

Anyone tried to get conexant lan working?

> > 3.
> > How can I change the font of the terminal window and all the other (sysload viewer) ... permanently to that of acme or others?
>
> In /usr/$user/lib/profile you can do so... But I think that some apps
> require extra settings, like acme (-F option, then dump ;) )

I will try it ...

cu Jens