On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 11:16:44AM -0600, andrey mirtchovski wrote: > either i missed a smiley or you missed my point. lsof is not intended > for the Plan 9 distribution. Well, the original point was that I don't really see the point of the program at all. Even if it were part of the main distrobution, it's still such a trivial program that it seems fitting that it be provided as a script, as are many other such programs. As for the speed, I just can't imagine it being an issue in practice, but I also can't really imagine using the program at all, rather than just grepping /proc. All in all, it doesn't matter much to me, it just seems much simpler to just write it in rc. The other problems you mentioned seem trivial. Redirecting greps stderr to /dev/null solves the second 2. There are a number of simple ways to solve the first. #!/bin/rc if(~ $#* 0) f = /proc/*/fd if not f = /proc/^$*^/fd f = `{ls $f | sort -t/ -n +2} grep '.?' $f >[2]/dev/null | sed 's,^/proc/([0-9]+)/fd:,\1 ,' -- Kris Maglione Serving coffee on aircraft causes turbulence.