From: Harri Haataja <harriha@mail.student.oulu.fi>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] 2 newbe questions of a general nature
Date: Thu,  5 Jul 2007 17:01:59 +0300	[thread overview]

On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 03:26:19PM +0200, Laurent Malvert wrote:
> On 4/5/07, erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com> wrote:
> >On Thu Apr  5 11:13:00 EDT 2007, rsc@swtch.com wrote:

> >> Even if you are getting interrupted, the CD is at most 100MB
> >> compressed, which is only 5 hours at 56kbps, so you've got plenty
> >> of time to grab it in the 24-hour window.
> >i found that even with a 56k connection with compression
> >(which works against you in this case), the download took significantly
> >longer.  modems can be difficult to keep connected.  this in addition
> >to the fact that i didn't know what time of day the new iso was cut,
> >made it nearly impossible to download the iso.
>
> what about setting up a bittorrent tracker ?
>
> it could solve the issue and allow to have several versions of the ISO
> available online for some time from various sources.

I'm sure you could even select from many already available ones.
Just run a seed somewhere. Of course even that could be done
unofficially and downloaders doing the checksum dance to verify
the result.

It would take load off the download servers, too, of course.

For extra fashion points, you could have RSS feeds announce new
versions. Many clients would let you follow those quite
automatically.

--
To know what you prefer, instead of humbly saying Amen
to what the world tells you you ought to prefer,