From: Kris Maglione <bsdaemon@comcast.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] synthetic filesystems and changing data
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 11:13:54 -0400	[thread overview]

On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 08:32:18AM -0400, John Marshall wrote:
> Although I was not immediately convinced that a versioning approach was
> all that useful, I can now see that it roughly matches what I've always
> done for servicing web requests for dynamically generated data: each
> connection keeps a version...

Using lib9p, each open Fid gives you a void* pointer to store
whatever fid-specific data you need. Whether that's just a copy
of the file's contents, or you implement some copy-on-write
scheme, it's not so different. You can even timeout connections
fairly easily, if you want to. Just keep a list of open Fids,
with pointers to structs containing the time they were opened.
Periodically check the list for timed out Fids, free the
resources they occupy, and return Rerror when the next read
comes in.

--
Kris Maglione

Any given program will expand to fill all available memory.