* [9fans] new igbe network card not activated
@ 2007-08-31  6:15 Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2007-08-31  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Moin,

I put a new Intel PRO/1000 in my Plan 9 server. The card is detected
by 9load (?) as ether#0 igbe and then as #l1: i82543. There is another
network interface on board which ist detected as elnk3. I put
ether0=igbe, ether1=elnk3 in my plan9.ini.

My problem is, that /net/ether0 points always to the elnk3 card. There
is no /net/ether1. How do I enable the second card? I don't need the
elnk3 so disable the elnk3 in the kernel maybe an option.

Many thanks
Matthias

* Re: [9fans] new igbe network card not activated
@ 2007-08-31 11:08   ` Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2007-08-31 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 01:25 Sat 01 Sep, Anthony Martin wrote:
> ether0=type=igbe
> ether1=type=elnk3

Works great, many thanks

@ 2007-09-01  8:25 ` Anthony Martin
From: Anthony Martin @ 2007-09-01  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> ether0=igbe, ether1=elnk3 in my plan9.ini.

I think that should be:

ether0=type=igbe
ether1=type=elnk3

--
"Christ, what an imagination I've got." - Shalmaneser

* Re: [9fans] new igbe network card not activated
@ 2007-09-01  9:09   ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2007-09-01  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> ether0=igbe, ether1=elnk3 in my plan9.ini.
>
> I think that should be:
>
> ether0=type=igbe
> ether1=type=elnk3

I second that.  It's caught me a good few times, including this
particular incident :-(

++L

* Re: [9fans] new igbe network card not activated
@ 2007-09-01 11:28 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-09-01 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I put a new Intel PRO/1000 in my Plan 9 server. The card is detected
> by 9load (?) as ether#0 igbe and then as #l1: i82543. There is another
> network interface on board which ist detected as elnk3. I put
> ether0=igbe, ether1=elnk3 in my plan9.ini.
>
> My problem is, that /net/ether0 points always to the elnk3 card. There
> is no /net/ether1. How do I enable the second card? I don't need the
> elnk3 so disable the elnk3 in the kernel maybe an option.

the previous posts were correct, you need "ether0=type=$TYPE".
however ether1 won't just appear in /net.  if you want to use ether1,
you've got to bind it into the default network stack with
	# bind -a '#l1' /net
typically, though, second network cards are bound into a different
network stack
	# bind -a '#I1' /net.alt
	# bind -a '#l1' /net.alt
	# ip/ipconfig -x/net.alt [other options here]

by the way, i have a driver that should do all intel pro/1000
pcie cards.  i'll try to get it submitted soon.  coraid are using the 82563,
82571 and 82573.  i am using two 82572 at home.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2276643&CatId=2380

i don't have an 82566 to test with, but it should work as well unless i
have the wrong device id.  intel have a habit of publishing incorrect
device ids in their yellow books.

- erik