From: Axel Belinfante <Axel.Belinfante@cs.utwente.nl>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: [9fans] non-plan9 acme: slight non-sensitive margin right of scrollbars?
Date: Thu,  4 Oct 2007 22:47:24 +0200	[thread overview]

maybe it is just me. anyway, with p9p acme I have been
noticing a slight margin just to the right of the scroll bars,
immediately to the left of the text, in which it is not
sensitive to mouse clicks and, if the mouse is there,
also not to text being entered. I guess I noticed it first
at least a year ago, dunno when, and at the time my p9p
version was old and I did not update it often
so I did not bother mentioning it.

now I'm working with acme-sac (0.14 on intel imac,
in case it might matter) and noticing the same.

I just tried with acme on plan 9 (parallels on imac)
and there it works as expected - no non-sensitive zone.

hence this post.

apparently I have a tendency to put the mouse close
to the right side of the scrollbars if I want to
insert new text at the start of a line already present.
the intriguing thing is that somehow I seem to have
acquired this custom of putting the mouse there,
so either it has worked at some point in the past,
or it has not, but then how did I pick up the habit?

is it just me?
has something been changed over time?
is there some magic in plan 9 acme that somehow helped me,
without me knowing it, and now its gone?
(I'm referring to tricks like the scrollbar that keeps
a mouse that slowly tries to move outside of it inside)
is there a difference between the platforms
(native plan 9, inferno, p9p), or is it only acme?

before p9p acme appeared, I have been using wily for years,
but I did not pick up the custom there, I guess - wily seems too
different in this respect (thick border around active window).
(before I found wily I have been using sam for years)
I have been using plan 9 acme nativily (non p9p) on and off,
since 3rd ed appeared, but never as much as p9p acme (daily use).

Axel - puzzled, curious, long-winded, sorry...