* [9fans] Strange behaviour with fresh installed plan 9
@ 2007-11-22 19:25 Philipp
From: Philipp @ 2007-11-22 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi there!
I recently posted my problem to #plan9, but nobody found out
how the error is caused. (although there were some nice people
willing to hlep me)
So, the point is, i've got some older fujitsu siemens c series
lifebook (pIII 650mhz, some onboard intel gfx-chip, 320mb ram, ...)
and i wanted to install plan9 on it.
At first, i wanted to test the live system, but unfortunately, the
error occurs here for the first time. (remember: live-system)
Instead of a nice rio popping up, i'm confronted with a  black screen
and i just can see the mouse pointer (borders are white). Writing
text occur in the upper left of the screen, and hitting some commands
like echo "a" or sth. like that has _no_ effect. At least no visible
effect. So i can't do anything. But, usually, i'm not that pessimistic
guy so i just took the radical way (there is no sensitive data on the hd)
and choose the installer in the boot-menue. Et voila! Rio pops-up and
i just can follow the installation steps as described in some doc.
(Btw. i have to admit that i have to use vesa, because xga screws up the screen -> windows shown like 3 times tec.)
After the installer finished, i rebooted the system and ejected the
CD. Actually, he really boots until the user login (ok, some root from:
line is there before, just taking the default value). As described in
the manual, i logged in as glenda, and now the same shit as when booting
live system happens. Black screen, just mouse pointer, actions/commands
have no effect/doesn't return any (visual) feedback.
Now some guy told me to login as user none to change some settings in the
plan9.ini. So i went for a reboot and logged in as root, and now i don't
even get a prompt (%), it seems like he just stops after some init: rc
line. Furthermore, i get the same effects when typing some bullshit or
some commands. They just don't return anything.
Oh, I almost forgot, i'm using the default filesystem, and this is fossil
at the 18/11 and 21/11 iso. I also tried fossil+venti, but when using this,
even when creating the isec and arenas partition, i get some errors like
"venti couldn't connect to server" and some errors containing some hexdigits
like 0xa after logging in.

I hope my english is readable, thus not too poor and I really hope that
someone has got a solution, because I'm really interested in plan9.

Best regards,
Philipp

only message in thread, other threads:[~2007-11-22 19:25 UTC | newest]