Thanks for your replies! The reason I asked is that I am thinking about a couple of methods to detect failures of my two mirrored disks (by fs) automatically. How do you check if your disks are still ok? I know I could invest in a real raid controller and rely on that but I still like the idea of being independent of yet another piece of hardware which internal formatting of the disk is hidden from me.. Kind regards, Christian -- You may use my gpg key for replies: pub 1024D/47F79788 2005/02/02 Christian Kellermann (C-Keen)