From: "Russ Cox" <rsc@swtch.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] frogs and osx
Date: Thu,  3 Jan 2008 21:29:49 -0500	[thread overview]

> Using u9fs to access my mac I find I cannot see directories (folders)
> that have their own specific icon.
>
> This turns out to be because these directories contain a file
> Icon<cr> whiel <cr> is ASCII 13, and /sys/src/9/port/chan.c:1656
> defines the frogs illegal in filenames to include carriage return.
>
> Why does frogs contain these latters, My feeling is that only <nul>
> should be illegal, perhaps these are a hangover from pre utf-8
> days?
>
> Perhaps there is a good reason for not allowing such characters,
> I can see that creating such files should be discouraged but
> failing a read(2) of a directory containing such files seems extreme.
>
> Is it historic or there for a very good reason™ ?

In addition to NUL, surely / should be illegal!
I certainly wouldn't want \n in file names; \r seems just too close.
In general, I'm quite happy that file names are guaranteed
not to contain such difficult characters.  There's very little
benefit to be had by allowing them, and they complicate many
things (witness xargs -0 on Unix).

A better workaround for this particular problem would be
for u9fs to rewrite the name or omit that entry entirely.

Russ