From: "Russ Cox" <rsc@swtch.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Inferno /sys/doc: PDFs are actually PS?
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 10:47:23 -0500	[thread overview]

> that's what gs produced on plan 9 when i asked for pdf.
> i tried another program elsewhere, probably gs on linux, but it didn't fare any better.
> i should probably try the adobe site that converts single documents, if that's still there.
> i'm reluctant to buy a new acrobat copy just for one file.
> they lost my vote when they added javascript.

ps2pdf works fine on Plan 9: I just tested it on tk.ps.
The result is at http://swtch.com/tk.pdf

Judging from the contents of the current tk.pdf, it looks
like you might have slipped and run

	pdf2ps tk.ps tk.pdf

instead of

	ps2pdf tk.ps tk.pdf

The names of the commands are slight misnomers.
Only the ``2xxx'' part matters: they both accept either PS or PDF
as input.  If you type the wrong one, then GhostScript
blindly converts PS -> PS or PDF -> PDF.
The current tk.pdf is definitely the output of GhostScript's PS writer.

Russ