From: plan9@sigint.cs.purdue.edu
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Mouse advice for Acme
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:54:54 -0500	[thread overview]

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 09:26:39AM -0700, andrey mirtchovski wrote:
> the original poster asked about OSX and Plan 9, on which the
> scrollpoint works quite fine: i've been using one for close to 6 years
> now.

Groovy, I was hoping someone would say it worked fine with Plan 9.
Just thought I'd point out a possible problem before someone went to
the trouble of ordering one.

>>  I have a couple of those, but found I didn't like the scroll knob.
>>  Under Linux (sorry) at least, it was way too sensitive.  I couldn't
>>  press and release it fast enough to scroll, say, 3-4 lines.  Whatever
>
> yes, it's crap under Linux, but what isn't? ;) there is a solution for
> that, but as one would expect, it requires patching the kernel and
> recompiling it.

Obviously, I gave up before I found that solution.  At any rate, I had
decided that I preferred scrolling in the discrete steps a mouse wheel
provides vs. trying to gauge how much force to apply to my middle finger
to move the window the desired amount.  (I expect my middle finger would
be in better shape if I drove more instead of taking the bus.)