* [9fans] ssh - pine - "garbage" characters
@ 2008-05-29 14:48 Glenn Becker
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Glenn Becker @ 2008-05-29 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DIST - Plan 9 From Bell Labs

Hi all -

I have an odd relationship with Plan 9. It sits on one of the primary
partitions of my laptop. Every once in a while I think "Crikey, I'm not
smart enough to do anything with this," and think about replacing it
with, oh, I don't know, another Linux distro ... but then I will dig a
little into the list archives, boot the system up, fiddle, and solve one
or more of my issues. And then the fascination takes hold again ...

Last night was a good problem-solving night. But one of my continuing
frustrations is that, although networking works, I am having issues
'communicating' from the system ... so if I have a problem with something
in Plan 9, I have to reboot into Linux or (bleah) Win XP in order to
communicate it ...

More specifically, I can ssh from Plan 9 into my account at SDF
(sdf.lonestar.org aka freeshell.org). I've played around with ssh options
some and improved what I am seeing in the terminal connected to that
account, but when I fire up Pine to attempt reading my email, I get a
screen that is 1/2 muck/garbage characters.

I poked around in the list archives but didn't find any solution to that.
If anyone has suggestions (or can tell me where/what I need to read) I'd
be grateful. FWIW, the system I am logging into (SDF) runs NetBSD (2.0 or
thereabouts, IIRC).

Thanks,

GB

Glenn Becker - burningc@sdf.lonestar.org

* Re: [9fans] ssh - pine - "garbage" characters
@ 2008-05-29 14:58 ` Christian Kellermann
From: Christian Kellermann @ 2008-05-29 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: DIST - Plan 9 From Bell Labs

* Glenn Becker <burningc@sdf.lonestar.org> [080529 16:50]:
> screen that is 1/2 muck/garbage characters.

do you run it in vt? otherwise you will see ncurses garbage all
over the place.

HTH

Christian

--
You may use my gpg key for replies:
pub  1024D/47F79788 2005/02/02 Christian Kellermann (C-Keen)

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 194 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] ssh - pine - "garbage" characters
@ 2008-05-29 15:08 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2008-05-29 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> More specifically, I can ssh from Plan 9 into my account at SDF
> (sdf.lonestar.org aka freeshell.org). I've played around with ssh options
> some and improved what I am seeing in the terminal connected to that
> account, but when I fire up Pine to attempt reading my email, I get a
> screen that is 1/2 muck/garbage characters.

It sounds like you need to run vt first,
which gives you a vt100 terminal emulator
that pine will be able to drive.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] ssh - pine - "garbage" characters
@ 2008-05-29 15:41 ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2008-05-29 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

an alternative is to run a vnc session
on the remote (non-plan 9) machine and
use vncv to connect to it.

that might be useful if vt would not be able
to support all cursor control that pine needs.

Axel.

* Re: [9fans] ssh - pine - "garbage" characters
@ 2008-05-29 17:35   ` Glenn Becker
From: Glenn Becker @ 2008-05-29 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> It sounds like you need to run vt first,
> which gives you a vt100 terminal emulator
> that pine will be able to drive.

Thanks all for the replies. I will look forward to trying this out.

@ 2008-05-29 23:45     ` Glenn Becker
From: Glenn Becker @ 2008-05-29 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>> It sounds like you need to run vt first,
>> which gives you a vt100 terminal emulator
>> that pine will be able to drive.
>
> Thanks all for the replies. I will look forward to trying this out.

It works great. This is my epochal first email "via" Plan 9. :D

@ 2008-05-29 15:01 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-05-29 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> More specifically, I can ssh from Plan 9 into my account at SDF
> (sdf.lonestar.org aka freeshell.org). I've played around with ssh options
> some and improved what I am seeing in the terminal connected to that
> account, but when I fire up Pine to attempt reading my email, I get a
> screen that is 1/2 muck/garbage characters.

going on the assumption that the "garbage" characters
are in fact cursor address escapes, you could try using
vt(1) to do a little bit of vt100 emulation.

- erik