From: Digby Tarvin <digbyt@acm.org>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Cc: digbyt@acm.org
Subject: Re: [9fans] Laptop advice
Date: Mon,  9 Jun 2008 17:35:54 +0100	[thread overview]

Actually, since you mention it, a Toshiba Libretto is one of the
'modest' machines I have Linux running on:
   Kernel command line: auto BOOT_IMAGE=linux/xaccel ro root=306
  	  BOOT_FILE=/boot/vmlinuz monitor=xaccel
   Initializing CPU#0
   Detected 166.637 MHz processor.
   Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
   Calibrating delay loop... 332.59 BogoMIPS
   Memory: 62132k/65664k available (1263k kernel code, 3144k reserved,
      370k data, 120k init, 0k highmem)

I'm still running netscape on it because I fear Firefox may have
bloated beyond its reasonable capabilities...

It is a 100CT, not a 70, but maybe I should give it a try a try
with plan9 too.

And yes, the floppy is often problematic as it is an external PCMCIA
device. The BIOS knows how to boot from it, but most installers fail
when they try to access the floppy themselves (such as to load the
driver for a PCMCIA CDROM drive or network card). There is a patch to get
it working under Linux, but you need a non-standard install to
get up to the point of being able to use it. Once you get over the
install hurdle, however, it works just fine with most OSs.

It might be a compact little Plan9 machine - if the 800x480 display
isn't too limiting..

Regards,
DigbyT

http://www.digbyt.com