* [9fans] Subject: Venti, redundancy, and hardware failure.
@ 2008-08-02 13:59 Gregory Pavelcak
From: Gregory Pavelcak @ 2008-08-02 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sorry if this is a repost, but I haven't seen it show up on groups, so
I think I'm OK.

I recently asked about mirroring venti arenas and was told that mirroring
is generally a good idea.  It
occurred to me that, although I know how to mirror my arenas, I'm not
clear on how to recover from hardware failure.  That is, suppose sdD0
and sdD1 are dedicated to arenas, they are mirrored, and venti.conf
has something like 'arenas /dev/fs/arenas'.  Now suppose sdD0 goes
belly up.  Do I change '/dev/fs/arenas' to '/dev/sdD1/arenas', in
venti.conf and fossil conf?  Maybe rerun fmtindex?  I recall reading
about setting up venti and recovering fossil from venti, but I don't
remember seeing anything about this.

Also, I was looking at venti-backup.  I assume that using it to
'incrementally back up a Venti server to another Venti server' could
also include just copying the arenas to another device on the same
machine.  Is that right?  Even if I can use venti-backup tools in this
way, is mirroring preferable when it's possible?  Why or why not?

(Hah!  Sounds like a quiz.  Bad college flashback.  :-))

Greg