* [9fans] those funny gnu guys
@ 2008-11-14 18:34 erik quanstrom
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-11-14 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

this is just stupifying:

http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1029797&cid=25761431

Due to a strange quirk in the way compilers are designed, it's (MUCH) faster to build a dozen files that include every file in your project than to build thousands of files.

Once build times are down to 5 - 15 minutes you don't need distributed compiling. The link step is typically the most expensive anyway, so distributed compiling doesn't get you much.

sorry for the noise.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] those funny gnu guys
@ 2008-11-15  4:03 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-11-15  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: leimy2k, 9fans

> > My mileage on that has varied as well :-).  Most people I know couldn't
> give a rats ass about what slashdotters think, and no one I work for or with
> even looks at that site.

it must be nice to run in such elite circles.  perhaps
one day when i am not employed buidling stuff people
are willing to pay for, i shall be afforded such luxury.

even if only to beg to differ.

- erik