From: "J.R. Mauro" <jrm8005@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] J9P/StyxLib
Date: Wed,  1 Apr 2009 17:33:51 -0400	[thread overview]

On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 11:11:28PM +0200, Uriel wrote:
> Actually the GPL doesn't do what you guys claim it to do, it doesn't
> require people to share back with you changes to your code, it only
> requires them to release their changes if they *redistribute* their
> code.

Trying to enforce private use of licensed code is impossible. It's like trying
to prevent someone from making C4 in their home and keeping it in their
basement. The approach every license I've seen takes is a "don't ask, don't
tell" policy, which is as effectual as a license can get.

> Anyway, licenses are an annoyance and a waste of everyone's time and
> resources. I agree with Alex that the best is Public Domain, or at
> least BSD/MIT/ISC-style license, which is as close as you can get to
> Public Domain while retaining copyright.

Unfortunately, as a race, we have not yet come to the agreement of throwing
every lawyer on the face of the earth into a volcano