* [9fans] timesync -r not working?
@ 2009-06-26 18:45 Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2009-06-26 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm running plan 9 in qemu, I want to use the qemu-emulated hardware clock for the plan 9 time because it keeps the same time as the host.

I made a script to be sourced from cpurc:

	#!/bin/rc

	echo '> starting timesync'

	if (! test -e '/dev/rtc')
		bind -a '#r' /dev
	aux/timesync -r

The script runs at boot, the echo tells me that much, but the time is not set, perhaps as if timesync -r is not working. To be specific the date a few minutes after booting is Sun Jan  2 18:30:36 GMT 2000.

Should I not use timesync at all? I ask because $boottime (which is set before timesync is started) contains a reasonable date.

--
Ethan Grammatikidis
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne. -- Chaucer

* Re: [9fans] timesync -r not working?
@ 2009-06-26 19:48 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-06-26 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The script runs at boot, the echo tells me that much, but the time is not set, perhaps as if timesync -r is not working. To be specific the date a few minutes after booting is Sun Jan  2 18:30:36 GMT 2000.

i believe timesync is setting the system clock from /dev/rtc, not the other way
around.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] timesync -r not working?
@ 2009-06-26 22:22   ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2009-06-26 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:48:25 -0400
erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com> wrote:

> > The script runs at boot, the echo tells me that much, but the time is not set, perhaps as if timesync -r is not working. To be specific the date a few minutes after booting is Sun Jan  2 18:30:36 GMT 2000.
>
> i believe timesync is setting the system clock from /dev/rtc, not the other way
> around.

Yeah, that's what I expect timesync to do, but it's doing something strange instead.

--

@ 2009-06-26 23:57     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-06-26 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > > The script runs at boot, the echo tells me that much, but the time is not set, perhaps as if timesync -r is not working. To be specific the date a few minutes after booting is Sun Jan  2 18:30:36 GMT 2000.
> >
> > i believe timesync is setting the system clock from /dev/rtc, not the other way
> > around.
>
> Yeah, that's what I expect timesync to do, but it's doing something strange instead.

i wouldn't classify doing what the man page says it does
as something "really strange".  if you want the converse,
then just execute "date -n >/dev/rtc".

- erik

* Re: [9fans] timesync -r not working?
@ 2009-06-27  0:39       ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2009-06-27  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 4:57 PM, erik quanstrom<quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:

>> > i believe timesync is setting the system clock from /dev/rtc, not the other way
>> > around.
>>
>> Yeah, that's what I expect timesync to do, but it's doing something strange instead.
>
> i wouldn't classify doing what the man page says it does
> as something "really strange".  if you want the converse,
> then just execute "date -n >/dev/rtc".
>
> - erik

I'm pretty sure he's *trying* to get the time from /dev/rtc, not
trying to set it.

John
--
"I've tried programming Ruby on Rails, following TechCrunch in my RSS
reader, and drinking absinthe. It doesn't work. I'm going back to C,

* Re: [9fans] timesync -r not working?
@ 2009-06-27  7:46         ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2009-06-27  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 17:39:12 -0700
John Floren <slawmaster@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Yeah, that's what I expect timesync to do, but it's doing something strange instead.
> >
> > i wouldn't classify doing what the man page says it does
> > as something "really strange".  if you want the converse,
> > then just execute "date -n >/dev/rtc".
> >
> > - erik
> >

> I'm pretty sure he's *trying* to get the time from /dev/rtc, not
> trying to set it.

You'd be right.

I've found I don't seem to need timesync, the system time & /dev/rtc alike seem to stay in sync with the host without it, but I'm still curious why timesync -r should mess up the system time so badly.

Perhaps /dev/rtc and the system time are linked on some architectures, so that setting one sets the other and so timesync -r gets in a mess. Just a guess.

--

@ 2009-06-27  8:36           ` Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2009-06-27  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

timezones?

@ 2009-06-27 18:02             ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2009-06-27 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 05:36:55 -0300
"Federico G. Benavento" <benavento@gmail.com> wrote:

> timezones?

I've never heard of a timezone that could make a 9 year difference. Maybe on Pluto. ;)

--

@ 2009-06-28  0:05               ` Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2009-06-28  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

yeah, I must read the whole thread before posting ;P

@ 2009-06-28  0:17               ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2009-06-28  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

sure... thats why its called plan9 from outer space :)

--
cinap

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4861 bytes --]

From: Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57@fastmail.fm>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] timesync -r not working?
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 19:02:35 +0100

--

@ 2009-06-28 11:43                 ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2009-06-28 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 02:17:13 +0200
cinap_lenrek@gmx.de wrote:

> sure... thats why its called plan9 from outer space :)

*grin*

From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2009-06-28 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 21:05:37 -0300
"Federico G. Benavento" <benavento@gmail.com> wrote:

> yeah, I must read the whole thread before posting ;P

Hey, not reading the whole thread is my trick.

--

@ 2009-06-29  9:31 ` Balwinder S Dheeman
From: Balwinder S Dheeman @ 2009-06-29  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 06/27/2009 12:16 AM, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:
> I'm running plan 9 in qemu, I want to use the qemu-emulated hardware clock for the plan 9 time because it keeps the same time as the host.
>
> I made a script to be sourced from cpurc:
>
> 	#!/bin/rc
>
> 	echo '> starting timesync'
>
> 	if (! test -e '/dev/rtc')
> 		bind -a '#r' /dev
> 	aux/timesync -r
>
> The script runs at boot, the echo tells me that much, but the time is not set, perhaps as if timesync -r is not working. To be specific the date a few minutes after booting is Sun Jan  2 18:30:36 GMT 2000.
>
> Should I not use timesync at all? I ask because $boottime (which is set before timesync is started) contains a reasonable date.

I also run Plan 9 in qemu, the:

	aux/timesync -n pool.ntp.org

solved a similar problem here.

Hope that helps,
--
Balwinder S "bdheeman" Dheeman        Registered Linux User: #229709
Anu'z Linux@HOME (Unix Shoppe)        Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192

* Re: [9fans] timesync -r not working?
@ 2009-06-29 14:27   ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2009-06-29 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 09:31:51 GMT
Balwinder S Dheeman <bsd.SANSPAM@cto.homelinux.net> wrote:

> On 06/27/2009 12:16 AM, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:
> > I'm running plan 9 in qemu, I want to use the qemu-emulated hardware clock for the plan 9 time because it keeps the same time as the host.
> >
> > I made a script to be sourced from cpurc:
> >
> > 	#!/bin/rc
> >
> > 	echo '> starting timesync'
> >
> > 	if (! test -e '/dev/rtc')
> > 		bind -a '#r' /dev
> > 	aux/timesync -r
> >
> > The script runs at boot, the echo tells me that much, but the time is not set, perhaps as if timesync -r is not working. To be specific the date a few minutes after booting is Sun Jan  2 18:30:36 GMT 2000.
> >
> > Should I not use timesync at all? I ask because $boottime (which is set before timesync is started) contains a reasonable date.
>

> I also run Plan 9 in qemu, the:
>
> 	aux/timesync -n pool.ntp.org
>
> solved a similar problem here.

ty. That's what was in my cpurc, I don't know whether as a default or from tinkering with it a few years ago. I didn't want to load ntp.org with multiple requests from the same machine.

--

@ 2009-06-29 14:38     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-06-29 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> ty. That's what was in my cpurc, I don't know whether as a default or from tinkering with it a few years ago. I didn't want to load ntp.org with multiple requests from the same machine.

running multiple timesyncs under the same kernel is an error
and will result in unpredictable behavior.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] timesync -r not working?
@ 2009-07-07  9:20     ` Steve Kostecke
From: Steve Kostecke @ 2009-07-07  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 2009-06-29, Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Balwinder S Dheeman <bsd.SANSPAM@cto.homelinux.net> wrote:
>
>> I also run Plan 9 in qemu, the:
>>
>>  aux/timesync -n pool.ntp.org
>>
>> solved a similar problem here.
>
> ty. That's what was in my cpurc, I don't know whether as a default or
> from tinkering with it a few years ago. I didn't want to load ntp.org
> with multiple requests from the same machine.

pool.ntp.org resolves to a random selection from over 1700 public time
servers located around the world.

You may be better off using a time server located in your geographic
area. Please see http://www.pool.ntp.org/ for a list of pool zones (and
more infomation about the pool).

--
Steve Kostecke <steve@kostecke.net>
"I am a citizen, not a consumer. I am a human being, not a revenue source."