On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 09:48:23AM -0400, erik quanstrom wrote: > > to be fair to the unicode people, this decoupling of glyphs and codepoints > > is (i think) the most straightforward way to implement some languages like > > arabic, where the glyphs for characters depend on their position within a > > word. that is, a letter at the beginning of a word looks different from > > what it would look like if it was in the middle. > > my opinion (not that i'm entitled to one here) is > that the unicode guys screwed up. Oh and how. Let's not forget punching a huge hole in the code point namespace to appease the tortured encoding that is UTF-16. I similarly may not be entitled to have an opinion on Unicode's handling of linguistics, but their handling of the abstract codepoint namespace and failure to keep encodings entirely separate is laughable. --nwf;